This is Peekskill: The friendliest town in Hudson Valley NY

To newcomers, this sign might seem quaint, but to residents, it’s more of a promise

For years, Peekskill, New York was ridden by crime and poverty. Now, after years of struggling to develop the riverfront and draw in artists and musicians, my hometown shows glimmers of hope for bright new beginnings.

River Walk: North

Stroll north up a sunlit path with the Hudson River to your left and NYC-bound train tracks to your right. At the end, an area once known for drug deals has been cleared into a vast grassy expanse. Families picnic on tables in the shade and children make use of the giant playground. Take in the beauty of the river and the mountains that border the horizon. If you look carefully, you might even catch a glimpse of Manhattan’s iconic skyline.

River Walk: South

Turn in the opposite direction and cross a lengthy wooden bridge over heavily graffitied tunnels. Prepare yourself well for windy days: with the river directly to your right, the view is breathtaking but the elements can be unforgiving. At the end, you’ll reach a boardwalk, where on weekend mornings, rugged-looking men lounge against the weathered wooden stakes, squinting against the sun as they watch their fishing lines. These Sunday fishers might not make for good small talk, but there is an unspoken companionship in their quiet presence. For us both, the southern boardwalk is an escape from the exhaustion of daily life.

Taco Dive

By 8 PM on a Friday or Saturday, especially in the warmer months, crowds pour out the doors of Peekskill’s waterfront Taco Dive Bar. Once you’re lucky enough to squeeze into a table, cheery servers will serve you tortilla chips crisped to perfection and bite sized tacos in paper bins. Get any filling from pulled pork to red cabbage, and sip margaritas as you enjoy a river view.

Wooded sanctuary

As a runner throughout high school, the miles of dirt trails offered by Depew Park were a godsend. Take the gravel path around scenic Lake Mitchell and stop to lunch on the picnic pavilion. Or, if you’re like me, escape into the silent tranquility of the woods and get blissfully lost in the twisting paths for a long run or a relaxed Saturday hike.

La Marqueta

This Hispanic grocery, tucked away on Washington Street, is home to the most authentic Latin American and international food in Peekskill. It’s been there forever, but a few years ago, Washington Street wasn’t somewhere most families would frequent with children in tow. Now, whenever we need Queso Fresco for our refried beans or individual ramen noodle bowls, we make the hike to La Marqueta. The cashier will most likely greet you in Spanish, but the doors will always be open to all.

Secondhand treasures

Looking for a specific book? You’d probably do better at Barnes & Noble. However, if you’re looking to discover something unexpected, perhaps a forgotten classic with frayed binding or an obscure collection of contemporary poetry, then The Bruised Apple is for you. Wander through the labyrinth of shelves, stacked to the ceiling with used books. Grab the first beautiful volume that catches your eye, and settle into an ancient armchair for a wonderful escape.

Sweet tea

If your adventures in The Bruised Apple made you hungry, come next door to Kathleen’s Tea Room, a magical sensation of window nooks and lace curtains. Try not to get too overwhelmed by the amount of tea flavors offered – there’s an entire menu! As you sip, munch on trays of delicious tea sandwiches, filled with anything from PB&J to tuna salad to tiny slices of lox on cream cheese.

Paramount Theater

Once a Depression-era movie house, The Paramount was transformed into a performing arts center in the late 1980s, and twice hosted the Beach Boys. After being shut down (and run-down) for years, the historic theater has finally reopened. Now, the golden Broadway-style lights and velvet seats make for a glamorous experience, even if you’re only going to see a Beatles cover band or a rerun of Rocky.

Fall lattés and winter blues

Eclectic and arty, the Peekskill Coffee House is known for its beautiful lattés, sweet crêpes, and display of local artwork. Come late on Saturday night for free blues, jazz, and grunge-rock concerts for the working class. The furniture is mismatched and the acoustics of the room could be better, but the coffee is good, the wall artwork is always new, and the local musicians are always genuine and soulful. It’s the type of place where you’ll begin to feel as though you and the tattooed barista are close friends. It’s the type of place you’ll leave inspired to run home and create your own masterpiece.

Cornell