The unofficial, honest Cornell University packing list

Everything they won’t tell you at orientation

So you’re excited for college, the next big step in your life. You have your bed sheets packed, your fridge, your microwave.

But if you’re headed to Cornell University in Ithaca, here is an honest packing list for life on The Hill.

Five types of jackets

So the thing about Ithaca is that there are five kinds of winter. Maybe an exaggeration but basically, there are days when it’s snowing heavily and the wind is cold and strong – those are the days you need your thickest jacket with windbreakers and everything.

Then are days that its snowing lightly but the temperature is warmer and honestly your thickest jacket is just too thick.

To be honest, if anyone went on to describe the several atmospheric dimensions of an Ithacan winter, they would never finish. As Ithaca residents continually say: “Ithaca’s weather is so bipolar”

Bipolar. The sun gave off a pretense of warmth but it was extremely chilly.

Everything else winter….

Seriously though come prepared for the winter in every way. Sure, the snow is a beautiful sight the first time round, but when you’re trying to figure out how to run through it to submit your homework the view becomes far less satisfying. Come prepared to walk home from the library at 2am or walk over to a friend’s dorm in the melting snow.

You will definitely need: WATERPROOF snow boots for your feet, winter gloves and EARMUFFS. If you have everything covered but your ears are exposed, you will still freeze.

Friends, the winter is not a joke (usually) – please come prepared

Red

You probably know that the Cornell color is Red. Everything is referred to as a “Big Red” something. So yes, you can decide to pack some red colored paraphernalia for when you’re feeling the school spirit.

A FAN (if your dorm needs it)

Unfortunately for some of you, your individual rooms will not have air-conditioning. Find out about the facilities in your dorm and then come prepared – there’s nothing worse than trying to do your homework and feeling stuffy at the same time.

Feeling at home in the residence hall

Comfortable shoes because walking to class will be a marathon

As a freshman, you have a bus pass so you’re usually covered. But there are some days where the bus is running late or its full (especially if you have a 9:05am class) or it will just not get you to class on time.

At this point, you’re going to run (or walk fast) to this class so you do not miss your iClicker points.

All-nighters

A blanket for library

Yes, the library. Because you’ll probably pull a few thousand all-nighters in the library and you have to be comfortable. Plus, the Uris library has couches and so you can definitely take a nap in the middle of your all-nighter.

Stamina

Again, for walking and rushing to classes that are 20 minutes away from your dorm and for the 10001 slopes at Cornell. There’s a reason why life at Cornell is referred to as life on the hill.

School spirit

So Cornell may not always be the best at sports and yes, we may have a lot to say about the academic rigor and the general Ithaca area. But, Cornell is our school and we will always love it.

So don’t forget to make room for these as you pack your luggage for school. Once you have these things in your back pocket, the journey through Cornell University can begin.

Cornell