Why I quit the sport I loved in college

‘I needed to get the rest of my life in order’

Every year, thousands of talented high school athletes are recruited to continue their sports at colleges across the country. Being a college athlete is an enormous responsibility, and can come with high amounts of pressure. Ultimately, a person’s love for the sport has to drive them to continue playing at the collegiate level despite hours spent at practice, 6am lifts and training sessions and many weekends spent traveling for games, among other commitments.

Nonetheless, many of these talented athletes end up quitting the sport they once loved. There’s also usually a negative connotation associated with quitting, as if “quitting” is a dirty word. But there’s more to the story.

We interviewed Brynn Daniels, current senior and previous member of the Women’s Squash team, to better understand why some talented athletes may quit their sports in college.

What was the recruitment process like?

So basically for the recruiting process, I was in contact with the coach under NCAA guidelines once I was a senior in high school. She guided me through the admissions process and checked over my essays and test scores to ensure I was a strong candidate. I also organized to come see the campus through the coach. When I visited, she showed me around and let me meet other girls on the team.

I ultimately ended up choosing Cornell because of its science program and also because I really liked the team culture here. Our team is very tight knit and a really down-to-earth group of girls. The coach puts a lot of effort into ensuring the recruits will get along with the current team and that the team generally likes the recruits. Cornell was also just too beautiful to turn down!

Tell us about your experience as a student athlete.

Life as a student athlete is definitely challenging. It is tough, especially as a freshman, to balance academics and athletics. I came to realize very quickly that I needed to utilize the small gaps of time I had in my days to get my school work done before practice. It was also nice to have many resources available to me such as free tutoring, a study center, athletic trainers for injuries and free access to Teagle and the squash courts.

So why did you quit?

I really loved the squash team and that’s one of the reasons that made it so hard to quit. I ultimately quit because I fell out of love with the game I’d loved since I was 6 years old. I had a rough sophomore year and was suffering with depression and homesickness, and I was overall very unhappy at Cornell. I felt as though I had no life outside of athletics and school…I felt like I was missing out within my sorority, as I couldn’t always go out and I always missed dinner and I had no truly good friends in the house.

Also, the coach was very strict about her practices and procedures; it was essentially her way or the highway. I needed to lay off my training and get the rest of my life in order first, and she wouldn’t let me. So I ultimately quit in order to pursue other things on campus and to ultimately have a more well rounded college experience. Don’t get me wrong though: I do miss it, especially being fit and not lazy.

What is your advice for current and future student athletes?

Have a strict balance. While challenging – especially when you have a demanding major such as biology – it is definitely possible. Also, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Cornell has a ton of resources available to you, so don’t be afraid to use them or to tell someone you are not okay.

***
While the transition from student-athlete to student can be a major adjustment, there’s no shame in having to give up your sport if it’s affecting your mental health and well-being. Athletics at the collegiate level can be highly demanding, and it’s definitely something you have to love to make it worth continuing.
Cornell national-us