Growing up in Hastings-on-Hudson, New York’s best small town

I can’t imagine growing up anywhere else

hometown

When asked where I live, I tend to tailor the answer to my audience. While this is typically subconscious, being abroad in Australia has made me more aware of my answer. When asked by a local Australian where I am from, I tend to say New York, but when asked by someone more familiar with the area, I say Westchester.

I always feel a bit cheeky with that response, because Westchester holds a certain stereotype that doesn’t properly reflect the town I am from. For those who are not familiar with New York, the conversation results with an explanation that I live in a small suburb about 25 minutes north of Manhattan.

But for those who dare engage further and potentially indulge in a little game of “Jewish Geography”, I say that I am from Hastings-on-Hudson. Being that Hastings is only one square mile with a population of about 8,000, my answer is usually followed by, “oh, I know a few people from Rye and Scaresdale, is it near that?”

It’s a river town

“Yeah, its about 20-25 minutes from there, but actually Hastings is a really small Rivertown, near Dobbsferry and Irvington”. Its funny because people seem to only really accept that Hastings is a real town if they can put it in geographical context of some other town that they are familiar with.

Oh, how quaint!

Hastings has an untouched charm and has properly maintained it’s historic and colonial feel without being commercialized or stymied by the pretentious Westchester stereotype. While the homes in Hastings might not be stereotypical Westchester mansions, the town has a unique small town appeal, with an aqueduct for long bike rides, waterfront parks for running around, and the quirky shops and restaurants downtown where as the saying goes, “everyone knows your name”.

Isn’t there a restaurant called Harvest on the… wait what’s it called again?

“On the Hudson… It’s called Harvest on the Hudson, you know, cause the restaurant is right on the Hudson River?” Yes, this is the one, and possibly only thing that draws outsiders to town. It is a beautiful, and uncharacteristically fancy restaurant situated on a riverside park, just past the train station. People come from far and wide to dine here, but it’s not quite reflective of Hastings’ quirkiness or the artsy people that inhabit the town. The New York Times explained it best when branding Hastings as Brooklyn’s counterpart “Hipsturbia”.

What you should know about Hastings is the expansive Farmers Market, which is one of my favorite ways to spend a Sunday morning with my dad. With over 30 vendors, it is arguably best in Westchester. Being the Farmers Market Fanatic that I am, I have done my due diligence in exploring farmers markets nation wide and I concur, Hastings has the best.

Visitors should also visit Thomas’ Coffee Shop, oh wait, you’re reading this a few years too late. This family-run, hole in the wall coffee shop not only served the best Chai Lattes and Madeline cookies in town, but it was also a staple of Hastings for High School students to congregate every afternoon. If only I could articulate the panic instilled in customers when Theresa, the owner, asks in her impatient, thick Chinese accent “Whatchyou want”. Except for me, of course, she was always exceptionally patient with me (I think it is my innocent mini-mouse voice).

I hold a unique position when explaining Hastings; I can see Hastings through the eyes of both a resident and an outsider. Although I have never lived in any other town, I went to private school in 5th grade and have had the pleasure of experiencing towns across Westchester. Despite going to school only 15 minutes from Hastings, most students don’t know it. Upon coming to Hastings for the first time, it is hard to appreciate its understated eccentricity; but having lived there 21 years, I realize how all of Hastings peculiarities have profoundly shaped who I am and I can’t imagine having grown up anywhere else.

Cornell