BREAKING: Xavier Eaglin ’19 banned from campus

On the day his case was sent to court

Xavier Eaglin ’19 has been forbidden from campus, Cornell has confirmed.

Melissa Osgood, Deputy Director of Media Relations for the University, spoke to The Tab earlier.

Eaglin’s father attended the preliminary hearing this afternoon. His son’s case has been divested to Tompkins County Court, where he faced the charges of first-degree rape, three charges of first-degree criminal sexual act and misdemeanor criminal obstruction of breathing or blood circulation.

He was taken into custody Sunday and has been held on $50,000 bail ($100,000 bond) in county jail since. His bail has since been halved.

The alleged assault took place on February 15 in Balch Hall on North Campus, according to court documents. The victim claims Eaglin assaulted her despite her verbal protests, placing one hand over her mouth to keep her quiet while choking her with the  other.

Eaglin playing for his high school

He told the alleged victim she “was going to have sex with him,” reported the Daily Sun.

Cornell Police reported they have a video recording of Eaglin confessing during questioning. They have also listed a taped phone call and a sworn statement from Eaglin, an alleged confession, as evidence.

Eaglin is a forward on the Cornell Basketball Team who has played a total of nine minutes this season but scored no points. He turned down offers from the University of Maryland and Yale to come play at Cornell. The video below shows some highlights from his high school career at Dayon high school, where he graduated as valedictorian.

Cornell