Cornellians share favorite memories of President Elizabeth Garrett

‘She was a visionary who cared deeply about our campus’

Following the sad news of President Elizabeth Garrett’s death earlier this week, thousands of Cornellians have gathered together to honor her memory.

A candlelight vigil took place last night on Ho Plaza

Here, three Cornellians share their favorite moments with the University’s first ever female president.

Jennifer Mandelblatt, ILR ’17

It was sitting on the arts quad on September 18th feeling overcome by the weight of the moment. A moment 150 years in the making and a new beginning for Cornell University. The President, supreme in her qualifications, would be a woman for the first time at an institution long dedicated to equal opportunity.

It was listening to her speech at the AD White Summit during which she used the pronoun “she” over and over again to describe a leader. She knew that her presence and her words had the power to bring hope and inspire new possibilities for so many of us.

It was emailing her when I needed help pursuing a dream and her taking the time to put me in contact with those who could help me achieve it. It was her remembering me and that dream when I finally met her months later.

It was the sight of my peers with heads on each other’s shoulders and arms linked tightly. Today, we were one as we reflected on a woman and her legacy.

President Elizabeth Garrett created all of these moments – from the historical to the seemingly insignificant. She was a visionary who cared deeply about our campus. About our home. She will be greatly missed but because of her leadership we are a better community and ready to move forward together.

Adriana Fernandez, philosophy ’16

[Meeting her was] one of my favorite moments in my four years at Cornell. Even though she had a million things to do, she took the time to ask me about my goals, give me advice about law school and even take a picture with me. Rest In Peace President Garrett.

Elizabeth Villedrouin, communication ’19

I met her over the summer during PSP. She came to speak at a dinner about her hopes for Cornell. Although she admired how far Cornell had come and the impacts Cornell had already made on our world, she was very enthusiastic about Cornell accomplishing even more. When I came up to her to talk to her individually that day and on another day during the Fall, it didn’t feel like I was talking to someone above me. It felt like I was talking to someone who wanted to help me become who I wanted to be.

Cornell