BREAKING: President Elizabeth Garrett dies at 52

There will be a moment of silence followed by chimes at 4pm

President Elizabeth Garrett, 52, died last night at Weill Cornell Medicine after beginning treatment for colon cancer.

Garrett, Cornell’s 13th president and first ever female president, was inaugurated on September 18.

Chairman of the Board of Trustees Robert Harrison ’76 expressed his grief in the announcement email, saying, “There are few words to express the enormity of this loss. Beth was simply a remarkable human being – a vibrant and passionate leader who devoted her life to the pursuit of knowledge and public service and had a profound, positive impact on the many lives that she touched.

“In this regard, she was the quintessential Cornellian.”

Garrett announced that she was being treated for colon cancer last month, describing her treatment plan as “aggressive.” Since then, Provost Michael Kotlikoff has been serving as Acting President.

Cornell plans to honor her memory with a moment of silence followed by chimes at 4pm today. Memorial arrangements have yet to be released.

This story is developing. Check back for continued updates as more details are released.

Cornell