The definitive ranking of Ithaca sushi

Because we have more sushi spots than bars

From the same investigative journalist/gourmand that brought you “The definitive ranking of Collegetown bars,” here is the breakdown of the best sushi around.

For some context, I typically split a salmon roll, a tuna roll, a yellowtail roll, eel and cucumber roll and maybe something spicy if I’m feelin’ wild. I’ve tried the nigiri at each place but usually the chef picks the fish, so it can be a bit of a crapshoot.

I am also omitting Sumo, Tokyo, and Mitsuba because though I have been to each, I haven’t eaten the sushi (the Mitsuba salad bar makes it 100% worth the trip though). And anyway, they are far AF.

So, without further ado, here’s the list of the best (accessible) sushi in Ithaca.

4. Sushi With Gusto

Not technically a restaurant, Sushi With Gusto is a mysterious factory that produces the ubiquitous packs of pre-made sushi you find in Cornell’s dining areas and cafes.

Maybe the lines to get your salad are too long. Maybe you just don’t know any better. Either way, you have probably accidentally eaten the worst sushi in Ithaca.

How luxurious.

It’s really nobody’s fault. The tuna was probably fresh at some point. The rice was probably warm and well-textured. But no matter how fantastic a roll of sushi is, throwing it into a refrigerator to let it sit under fluorescent lights for hours and hours is a recipe for disaster.

However, I must recommend the spring rolls and soba salad. They make a great snack if you have too many BRBs and don’t like the pre-made sandwiches.

Swerve the sushi though.

3. Miyake

The trouble with Miyake is the price for what you get. If you’re a vegetarian, the price isn’t so bad. But if you’re a bad vegetarian (like me) or a regular meat eater, you’ll be walking out of there with a bill of $30+ per person. Most of the fish rolls are $6+. Eel and avocado is $7.45, which is absurd for a college town. You’re almost better off getting nigiri  for around $5-6 for two pieces.

The quality? I have had good sushi, and this is not good sushi. It has never made me sick, but it has also never made me tear up with joy. The rice is fine. The fish is okay. It is not as buttery as I would like, but definitely edible. However, when I bite into the piece and remember that it cost $6, I die a little inside.

2. Capital State Kitchen

I just went here the other day for lunch during an unexpected trip to the Commons. That is to say, it’s pretty out of the way. It also has the tiniest menu I have ever seen, which made me very nervous. As somebody who prefers traditional sushi, I was put off by the extensive list of special rolls which greatly overpowers that of regular rolls (no yellowtail roll??? rly???).

This place, however, has quite possibly the best sushi lunch special I have ever had in my entire life. The menu advertises 6 pieces of chef-select pieces of nigiri as well as a salmon roll for $10 even.

When the plate arrived, there were 8 pieces on my plate. Maybe it was an incredibly happy accident, but this is regardless a terrific deal.

I ate two pieces of the salmon roll and one piece of nigiri before taking this pic – don’t judge me.

The sushi itself was, in a word, amazing. Literally the best sushi I have had in Ithaca. Buttery, great sushi-to-rice ratio, fresh.

The only reason I put this place at #2 instead of #1 is because it really is just a one-hit-wonder. The most similar deal to the lunch special (7 pieces and a tuna roll) jumps up to $16.75 at dinner. Still a decent deal, but nothing to call home about.

If you happen to be in the Commons for lunch, Capital State Kitchen is beckoning.

1. Plum Tree

Maybe I’m a little biased because I live right above the place, but I’m very into Plum Tree.

It’s accessible in general. It has great lunch specials (I believe they go all week). And for your friends who hate sushi, Plum Tree probably has the most extensive menu of non-sushi options that I have ever seen. If you like appetizers, Plum Tree has you beyond covered with more than 30 options. If I’m feeling basic, they have an extensive menu of spicy rolls, including spicy tuna, spicy California, spicy salmon, spicy scallop, and spicy yellowtail.

As for the quality of their sushi, I am pretty impressed. Maybe it’s just their prices that put me in a good mood, but their sushi always tastes fresh. I haven’t had a chance to eat their nigiri yet, so my review on that is still pending. The rolls, however, are a good time. The rice is well seasoned and their fish is reasonably good quality. Their yellowtail is probably my favorite fish and the shiitake mushroom roll is a surprising competitor to non-vegetarian sushi. Overall, Plum Tree is the best (accessible) sushi pick.

Cornell