Someone spraypainted ‘Kill your rapist’ on Sigma Pi

They drew a guillotine and wrote ‘off w their heads’

Two photos have surfaced on Facebook revealing vandalism on campus this past week.

Below is a photo of the Sigma Pi fraternity house, where someone has written “Kill your rapist,” and “Off w your heads.”

This photo was posted to the Overheard at Cornell Facebook group

“We’re very disappointed,” said Jarett Wait, President of the Sigma Pi Alumni Board. “Destruction of private property and vandalism is very upsetting.”

According to Wait, this isn’t the first time it’s happened, and the Sigma Pi house has installed security cameras around the perimeter of the house.

“We reviewed the tapes,” said Wait. “We believe the incident took place at roughly 5:30 in the morning on the 26th. It’s hard for us to make out the images, but we think that there are two people involved. The police are doing their work.”

At this time, there is a tarp on top of the graffiti and plans to paint over it as soon as possible.

In the Overheard Facebook group, where the photo was posted, one Cornellian speculated the drawing beside “Off w your heads” is meant to be a guillotine.

Some were quick to comment with things like “Lol fuck frats” and “ok but literally kill all rapists.”

Others thought the vandalism had gone too far.

“I’d go to the police instead,” one girl wrote. She later posted again, adding, “If their goal was to warn others, there are other means through which anonymity could be conserved (e.g. Blue Light emails, campus news sources, social media– new/fake account).

“I don’t see how going above and beyond to break rules is getting them anything they want. When nobody is there to accuse the rapist, who is going to pursue the case?”

Sam Naimi ’16 saw the vandalism as a threat to student lives.

“There is a continuous issue with sexual assault that is of course not exempt on our campus and clearly is an issue,” wrote Naimi.

“But at the same time this incident of vandalism is very extreme and very concerning considering it is a literal threat to our fellow students’ lives.”

Another incident of vandalism was posted shortly afterwards, this time reading “CORNELL WON’T SAVE YOU” on what appears to be west campus’s Baker flagpole.

Some commenters identified the drawing above the writing as the “hammer and sickle.”

No one is sure what the message means.

Theories included: poorly executed social commentary, someone drunk on Saturday night who wanted a cool social post and someone trying to open the Chamber of Secrets.

These recent cases of vandalism are not the first on Cornell’s campus this year.

Cornell