Meet the world’s first IVF puppies, courtesy of Cornell

Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine reaches a breakthrough in reproductive technology

Pictured: Jennifer Nagashima and Nucharin Songsasen. Photo credit: Jeffrey MacMillan

As a pre-veterinary student here at Cornell University, the opportunities around campus are truly endless. Right from the start of the introductory domestic animal class our freshman year, we are provided the opportunity to be surrounded by animals – twenty-four hours a day if we are up for it.  In addition, there are  infinite opportunities to shadow professors and work with them in their laboratory, including areas such as reproductive technology.  This is where the Baker Institute for Animal Health comes in.

Photo credit: Mike Carroll, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

After nineteen embryos were carefully transferred into host beagle canines, eleven puppies were successfully born this past summer. This breakthrough in technology involved three main challenges including collecting enough mature eggs from the female oviduct to successfully fertilize, recognizing that magnesium had to be added to the cell culture for the female tract to appropriately prepare for sperm, and freezing the embryos.

The successful breakthrough of completing in vitro fertilization in the canine species will hopefully contribute to preserving rare breeds, as well as reducing and even preventing genetic diseases before they appear.

As dogs share over 350 heritable traits with humans, the development also offers promise for understanding certain human disease, according to the study in the journal Public Library of Science ONE.

Scientists have been attempting in vitro fertilization in the canine species since the 1970s, and have faced many obstacles. But in light of the Cornell’s recent breakthroughs, the lab has found 80-90% success. Dr. Travis, associate professor of reproductive biology at the Baker Institute of Animal Health at Cornell University, along with his graduate and undergraduate teams, have demonstrated that hard work truly pays off.

At this time, all the puppies have been adopted.

Watch them play here.

Cornell national-us