The Cornell French Society held a vigil for Paris and Beirut last night

When the City of Lights goes dark, the world lights up in support

Last night, The Cornell French Society invited its fellow community members to participate in a few moments of solidarity on Ho Plaza after the terrorist attacks.

They killed 132 and injured more than 300.

These acts of terror, wrought in a series across the city, were executed by the extremist group ISIS. Following the news of the string of events, Paris was shut down in a state of emergency as manhunts ensued to identify those involved.

As the world was rocked by the news, celebrities went online to express their sorrows over the tragedy and landmarks around the world lit up in the country’s tricolore in tribute to Paris’s victims.

When France turned off its lights to mourn the victims of the attack, other countries responded by saying, “When the City of Lights goes dark, the world lights up in support.”

Some thoughtful students on our campus organized last night’s event to remember those who were lost in the attacks and also host a moment of gratitude to the survivors.

The mainly silent vigil, surrounding a beautiful centerpiece of tealights spelling out “Beirut Paris,” was at times interjected with simple songs sung in French and the statements of community members who wanted to express their somber thoughts of the vicious and senseless attacks.

As powerfully stated by one individual amongst the dark crowd slightly lit by mini candlesticks, “By lighting a candle, we are banishing the darkness that led to these massacres around the world.”

Together we stand. Uni avec Paris, Beyrouth.

Cornell