How to survive being broke at Cornell

Not everyone is super rich here

As Cornell students, we all have those friends who constantly say, “Well, it’s my parents money so I don’t care,” every time they throw down $1000 for whatever reason, or when their credit card gets declined.

Some of you readers may even be those friends.

But what about the students who get shamed for having a job in college even though they support themselves? Or the friends who are labeled as charity cases because their parents are going through financial issues and they can’t always choose to buy that one LIT over eating for a few days?

We are people, too, you know. So today, I will lay out three tidbits on how to think about and plan your life while being broke at Cornell. I

t’s hard, but hey, some of us can’t be a part of that all-too-prevalent-at-Cornell-one-percent crowd (no matter how hard it is on our confidence sometimes).

Get a job

Yes, it will cut down on your availability to go out five times a week with your wealthier friends and seeing them super drunk while you’re at work will make you want to quit.

But what would you rather most: being more able to make rent and feed yourself regularly or go out five times a week and mooch because you can’t afford a fishbowl, let alone a slice of Sammy’s? You decide.

Also, having a job teaches you how to better take care of your funds on your own therefore helping you know what exactly you can and cannot afford. Taking even six to eight hours of your week for an on-or-off campus job can really help alleviate your financial stress and give yourself a little wiggle room to buy a perfect formal dress or splurge on a frappe every so often.

Swallow that pride

Being broke here is rough, but it’s better to be honest about your financial situation with friends than be a flake or someone who always owes them money.

And if they can’t accept you’d rather eat ramen over Plum Tree, then maybe they’re not your real friends at all.

So swallow your pride and be honest about your situation, you might even find a few friends who are going through the same thing but are hiding it as well.

Not everyone is rich at Cornell

Yes, it may seem like everyone around you is driving an Audi and can spend $500 a month at CTB without breaking a sweat. But one of the most important things that I’ve learned here is that there is someone in your close circle having financial trouble.

Either they’re in debt, their parents lost their fortune or they’re just really bad at managing money (which is really, really common among college students in general). And just because you’re feeling alone, doesn’t mean you are actually alone.

The fishbowl is not worth it

Simple.

So, from a broke Cornell student to (probably) many others, it may be hard sometimes trying to balance school with visiting the Bursar/Financial Aid office to stay afloat.

But just remember you’re not alone, and that with a little bit of honesty and time management, it could get better.

Cornell