Cornell Thanksgiving Turkey donation is cruel, says PETA

Feathers ruffled

Cornell Students for Hunger Relief has announced that they have raised $7,000 during their annual Thanksgiving Turkey Donation Drive, which will fund the donation of 500 turkeys to local food banks.

PETA, however, is crying fowl.

PETA Director of International Youth Outreach Ryan Huling said: “These students’ hearts are in the right place, but there’s a far kinder way to help the hungry than by donating the carcasses of birds who were hung upside down and electrocuted and then had their throats slit.

“Student animal advocates at Cornell and nationwide will be distributing cruelty-free vegan food over the holidays, which is the only humane way to feed the hungry.

“Cornell Students for Hunger Relief could easily follow suit by donating delicious, healthy Tofurky and other vegan roasts to families in need, and PETA would be happy to help them do it.”

$7,000 for 500 turkeys makes each bird approximately $14, or 7.8 to 23.7 pounds according to Wegmans pricing of $0.59 to $1.79 per pound of their cheapest turkeys. The cheapest packages of Tofurky are $2.49 for 5.5 ounces, or $7.24 per pound.

PETA knows you can’t put a price on ethics, however, and has iterated their stance. That stance being a resounding, “Cluck you.”

Cornell