The night the President faced her students on sexual assault

Garrett said, “We do a great job.”

The question of how Cornell responds to an alarming survey on sexual misconduct is being asked with ever-increasing urgency, but so far without answer.

The best insight into the university’s plans was supposed to be President Elizabeth Garrett’s recent Q&A evening, which she began with a positive statement, and ended under fire.

“We do a great job, but that doesn’t mean we can’t do better,” she said as the session kicked off, before addressing the agenda-setting AAU survey into sexual assault and misconduct on campuses.

The stats, based on a survey completed voluntarily at 27 universities, claimed Cornell’s rate of unwanted contact was 22.6 percent for women and six percent for men. When the report was released, Garrett was quoted saying that “there is still more work to be done to educate and to help protect our students.”

Last night she reiterated her view, before the questions started pouring in. “To me, what this survey points out is that there is an issue on this campus and campuses across the country.

“One incident of sexual assault is too many. When you get to a disciplinary process, you’ve already failed. What has to happen has to come from the student body and the grassroots.”

Elizabeth Garrett’s inauguration took place during Homecoming weekend this year

Then, a student asked, “Discussions happen all the time. How much are you willing to prioritize action?”

“I’m a firm believer that bystander involvement makes a big difference,” Garrett rebuffed. “I’m not sure a 52-year-old woman coming in and having a discussion with you is the best way to go. We will take action.”

The students in attendance, unsatisfied by her response, later asked President Garrett to specify actions that would be taken in response to the problem of sexual assault. “That’s best left to the round table,” Garrett deflected.

President Garrett did not attend the round table discussion that followed the Q&A.

“That’s really what Cornell does,” President Garrett had said while she was still in the room. “We seek new knowledge and apply it to the world.”

It remains to be seen how the administration will apply their new knowledge.

Ryan Lombardi, Vice President of Student and Campus Life, who hosted the panel, opened by saying, “The goal here tonight is to listen to each other.” The tone of discussion soon reflected unease and dissatisfaction among the student body.

“I don’t feel safe on this campus and I want to know what we can do to make it safer,” one student commented.

Professor Elizabeth Karns weighed in on the current statistics we have on sexual assault, saying, “None of you should be satisfied with what has been released thus far in terms of analysis.”

Important concerns brought forth included the role of bystander intervention, the lack of Blue Light-type coverage in Collegetown, sexual harassment and responses to assaults that have already occurred.

Attendees included Dr. Joseph Burke, the Director of Residential and New Student Programs, Nina Cummings, the Victims’ Advocate, several professors and the heads of student organizations. All participants in the discussion showed recognition of the magnitude and gravity of the issue.

In other remarks earlier in the night, the President continued by expanding on her position regarding freedom of expression. She said the university welcomes dialogue, but will not tolerate any expressions that disrupt education.

Samari Gilbert, President of the Black Students’ Union, began the questions by asking how Cornell would address the concerns of students of color. Garrett parried with an answer centered around promoting dialogue.

Matthew Battaglia then asked about financial aid and how the administration planned to improve the cost of attendance for “people in the middle,” those who are above the aid threshold but still unable to afford Cornell tuition, to which Garrett responded, “We don’t serve anybody well by pretending it is not expensive or in pretending we’ll be able to lower tuition.”

In other answers, she addressed the issue of increasing revenue streams for the University and romantic relationships between students and people in positions of power.

But the night’s big question still hangs in the air

This is Part 2 of our series on sexual assault. Part 3 will be released in the next few days.

Cornell Beth Garrett Garrett national-us President Ryan Lombardi Sexual assault