Charles Tan case declared a mistrial after hung jury

Cornell student awaits prospect of second trial

Charles Tan, the Cornell student accused of murdering his father, remains free on bail after the jury in his trial failed to reach a decision.

The case was declared a mistrial today by Judge James Piampiano because the jurors could not give a verdict in time.

Tan was accused of murder in the second degree on February 9th of this year after his mother, Qing “Jean” Tan, called 911 saying her son had shot and killed her husband, Liang “Jim” Tang, in their Pittsford, NY home to protect her. 

Some jurors have refused to reveal which way they were leaning to help ensure a fair trial for Tan in the future. The jury believed they would come to a unanimous decision this afternoon, but had taken too long. 

The jury was relieved of their duty at around 10:15 this morning after eight days of deliberation. 

There is a meeting scheduled for November 5th to decide when the next trial will occur. 

Tan was an active member of the Cornell community as a beloved brother of Chi Phi fraternity and a Defensive Back for the sprint football team. 

Cornell