It’s time we talked about the other side of Greek life

Inside the world of sorority philanthropy

Those still learning their way around campus, who don’t dare to venture to the Dairy Bar, might not know the most important thing about sororities at Cornell.

They’re all about philanthropy.

It is struggling with your friends to finish that 5K after a long weekend, to rooting on frat stars as they try to tackle each other playing soccer and eating donuts on the Arts quad and reliving your glory days as a kid.

Alpha Phi sisters at their 2nd annual Alpha Phifa Soccer Tournament on September 13th

These events have allowed our campus to come together as one while supporting more causes that you can imagine. That’s right — different houses can manage to be in the same area without causing a brawl while actually supporting each other.  You go, Trapgar! Ranging from women’s cardiac care to preventing child abuse and ending domestic violence, these events are a core part of Cornell.

Kappa Delta sisters at their Shamrock Bash on September 26th

The amazing part? How many people show their passion for helping others while having a kick-ass time. So next time you see a philanthropy event happening on campus, take a moment out of your day to help another person — someone who might be similar to yourself, a family member or fellow colleague.

One of our more recent philanthropies, the 5th Annual Jog for Jill 5K, was hosted by Kappa Alpha Theta last week, honoring sister Ingrid Nunez ’14 who was diagnosed with stage-four lung cancer, despite never having smoked a cigarette, during her time at Cornell. Cancer sucks, and no one should have to battle it.

So the next time you hear about a run in the plantations, hop out of bed, work through your numbing exhaustion, get your butt in shape for that date night next weekend and show Cornell parents (and the administration) that the Greek community at this Ivy does more than rage on the weekends.

Who knows? Maybe you’ll make new friends in other chapters, or even find your next formal date. Learn to make Cornell as much of a home as it has become to me, and do something to make a difference, together.

Cornell