Trying to find my first Homecoming party

Be gentle. It’s my first time

Did you come to college with the same mindset as most people, thinking the parties were wild?

I listened to insane stories from kids at school, I watched all the I’m Shmacked videos and I saw the movie Neighbors about four times. I was ready for college.

I started my freshman year and quickly realized the party scene was not nearly as crazy as I had hoped. On too many occasions we had a mediocre night and one of my friends would say, “I guess that’s what happens when you go to school for academics.”

But I refused to believe Cornell isn’t capable of going as hard as one of the traditional party schools, which is why I was thrilled for Homecoming. The stories I heard about Homecoming from previous years blew my mind.

Yes, I thought. I’ll get to see how hard Cornell parties.

I woke up at 11am on the morning of Homecoming, eager to start tailgating. My roommate and I texted every freshman boy and girl we knew to find out which frats were hosting tailgates. It seemed everyone either had the wrong info or was completely clueless.

We decided to start the pregame in the dorms, hoping to receive word on where to go from there. I hosted about ten boys and girls in my room and we pounded shots of Fireball (sorry, RAs).

Soon it reached 1pm and we had no new info. I started to fear maybe my first Homecoming would be a disappointment after all. Maybe I’d have to wait until sophomore year before I could have some actual Homecoming fun.

Finally, I got the text saying there were a couple of open parties in Collegetown. I most likely shook all of Mary Donlon Hall when I screamed with excitement after reading they were letting freshmen in. Maybe the day was saved after all.

We took the TCAT down, and arrived to witness a sea of students dressed in red, white and black stumbling from one party to the next.

We hopped from house to house until we could find where kids were daging the hardest. We found the perfect house.

Music was blasting. Drinks were being shotgunned. Ping pong balls were flying across long, wooden tables into red solo cups. This was everything I dreamed Homecoming would be.

I was greeted by plenty of familiar faces.

We all partied, and partook in the typical tailgating festivities. For a moment, I felt like I could conquer anything. I was officially the man.

I was quickly reminded of my place in college society when a frat brother approached my friends and I asking which of the brothers we knew.

After a moment of hesitance, the frat brother demanded we leave the house.

When asked if he would like to provide a quote for The Tab, he said: “Get the fuck off my property before I drag you off.” His name, he claimed, is Go Fuck Yourself.

After Mr. Fuck Yourself led us off the property, we stumbled our way over to Schoellkopf Field to enjoy the Cornell sponsored tailgate event.

Cornell freshmen and alumni gathered into the stadium to watch the football game. We watched until halftime when most of us, myself included, left the field.

That night, we all pregamed in the dorms for the Homecoming concert, where Passion Pit performed. I passed out mid-pregame and missed the show, but I was told it was a great time.

With all the pressure and anxiety over Homecoming, it turned out to be a fun day. In the end, I don’t care how other schools are partying. I’m having fun at my school, and that’s all that truly matters. Right?

Cornell national-us