Columbia mourns the loss of Yi-Chia ‘Mia’ Chen
Mia Chen was an exchange student at Columbia from Waseda University in Japan
This afternoon, Dean Valentini sent out an email regarding the recent passing of an exchange student at Columbia, Yi-Chia “Mia” Chen from apparent suicide. Mia was visiting from Waseda University in Japan.
“This is an especially difficult time for all of us. As you know, we mourned the loss of another Columbia College student in December” said the Dean.
A gathering space will be held today at Broadway Hall as well as McBain Hall Lounge, from 7 to 9 p.m. Dean Valentini also announced CPS will hold walk-in hours from 5-10 p.m. at Broadway Hall as well as all day today and tomorrow until 10 p.m. in Lerner Hall.
You may read Dean Valentini’s email below:
With a heavy heart, I am writing to let you know about the loss of a member of our community. Yi-Chia “Mia” Chen, an exchange student at Columbia College from Waseda University in Japan, has died in an apparent suicide.
We have begun reaching out to Mia’s friends and classmates whom we could identify to provide support and assistance during this difficult time. Whether or not you knew Mia, you may wish to gather with other community members. We have set up a space for reflection and conversation from 7-9 p.m. on Broadway 14th floor East and McBain Main Lounge.
This is an especially difficult time for all of us. As you know, we mourned the loss of another Columbia College student in December. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to your advisers, your Residential Life staff, Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of the University Chaplain, your faculty members, and family and friends for support.
The following resources are available to you:
- The Broadway Residence Hall 14th Floor East Lounge and the McBain Main Lounge will be open as gathering spaces from 7-9 p.m. today. Staff from Counseling and Psychological Services, the Office of University Chaplain, and Residential Life will be in attendance. Anytime before 7 p.m., staff from Residential Life will also be available in Broadway 103 for drop-in visits.
- In addition to their regular hours, Counseling and Psychological Services (212-854-2878) will offer extended walk-in hours:
- 5-10 p.m. tonight and tomorrow in the CPS office in Broadway Hall
- All day today and tomorrow until 10 p.m. on the fifth floor of Lerner Hall
- The Office of the University Chaplain (212-854-1493) in Earl Hall and St. Paul’s Chapel will be open until 10 p.m. for individual or group counseling.
- Your advisers in the Berick Center for Student Advising (212-854-6378) are available to talk with you about any concerns.
- You can seek support from Residential Life staff at any time, who may connect you with additional resources.
I know that all of you join me in sending our deepest condolences to Mia’s family and friends.
James J. Valentini
Dean of Columbia College and
Vice President for Undergraduate Education