It’s not all about the money in Manhattanville

Columbia bought space in West Harlem that wasn’t up for sale

When measured in memories, homes can hold infinite worth. Think about snowfalls and turbulent thunderstorms, and a home can seem like a fundamental right. Still, a home is neither of these things—not priceless nor something guaranteed to all. Homes have monetary values in the real estate market.

Columbia construction at 125th street

In the early 2000s, when Columbia University proposed expanding its campus into the Manhattanville area of West Harlem, the institution named two reasons for the decision:

“Columbia University’s proposal for a major expansion into the Manhattanville area is a reflection of two of the institution’s most important goals. One is Columbia’s urgent need for additional space. The other is a continuation of the commitment to the communities of Upper Manhattan and our belief that this effort will bring economic and other benefits to our neighbors.”

Potential applicants are comparing Columbia’s campus with the sprawling green spaces of other top schools, and Columbia wants to remain competitive in the rankings.

Columbia University is located in the 7th most expensive city in the world, according to a 2016 study by The Economist. Real estate in New York City comes with a higher price than that of New Haven or Providence.

The changing landscape of the Meatpacking District, for example, shows NYC’s expensive real estate prices.

Money in Manhattanville tells a more interesting story though. Despite the opposition of Community Board 9 (which covers West Harlem neighborhoods of Morningside Heights, Manhattanville and Hamilton Heights), Columbia bought space in New York City that wasn’t up for sale.

In May 2009, Columbia President Lee Bollinger and the president of the West Harlem Local Development Corporation (WHLDC) at the time, Julio Batista, signed the West Harlem Community Benefits Agreement. This agreement included $76 million in benefits payable over 16 years, which the WHLDC was tasked with distributing to the community.

When the issue is examined in terms of monetary value, it can make sense—similar to purchasing a home in the real estate market. When Columbia says the Manhattanville project will “bring economic and other benefits” to residents, it’s possible they may be right. But while debating the promise of benefits to West Harlem residents is important, it also disregards the significance of power.

Regardless of the positive or negative effects, the residents of West Harlem pretty much unanimously opposed Columbia’s proposal at a public hearing in 2005—a sentiment that continued. The “empty lots” Columbia University gained, often through eminent domain, could have been transformed into green spaces or civic centers for residents if the West Harlem community members had been the ones with the power.

A non-profit called Harlem Grown transformed a West Harlem lot into this community farm.

Because of the restrictions and stipulations that come with the funds, the millions of dollars cannot necessarily bring the same kind of monetary might to West Harlem residents.

Who gets to buy space and who is forced to sell? If we only focus on the exchange of benefits, we forget the importance of communities having control over decision-making.

Columbia University