CDCJ protesters occupy Bollinger’s office after Low Library shuts down

They say they will stay through the weekend

Protesters from Columbia Divest for Climate Justice have occupied President Lee Bollinger’s office and plan to stay until he offers a public statement supporting divestment from top fossil fuel companies.

According to a press release from the CDCJ, the 16 protestors spent the night outside the President’s office before moving into the office itself.

The CDCJ, who are scheduled to meet with the President on Monday, has invited him to join them sooner, saying they are “prepared to escalate” if he does not do so.

“I am sitting-in, because I see climate justice as a human rights issue. It is immoral that Columbia actively profits from an industry that threatens the wellbeing of vulnerable communities around the world,” said CDJC organizer Nikita Perumal ’19 in the press release.

Those involved in the protest may face repercussions from the university, as it is considered a violation of the rules of conduct to occupy a University facility without authorization at a time after the facility has been declared closed by the University.

Students outside Low stand in solidarity with those occupying Bollinger’s office.

This week, over 250 students have participated in a sit-in for fossil fuel divestment across campuses nationwide, with 34 UMass Amherst students and four Harvard students facing arrest. The hashtag of the movement is #LeadWithUs.

Columbia University