Spring is finally here at Columbia

A photojournal

Just as we reach April, the weather is *finally* getting warmer and sunnier. On my way to class yesterday, low steps were filled with people and I enjoyed my little moment of browsing through the crowds and checking out everyone (finally it was sunny so I could put my sunglasses on so, no one knows I’m looking!).

Despite the urge to join my fellow Columbians and sunbath on the steps, I successfully arrived at my afternoon Astronomy class, where only 21 people attended when the class sizes around 80. As I was sweating after climbing seven flights of stairs in Hamilton, I couldn’t regret more – it’d be so much more enjoyable to lie on the grass and get sweaty from the sun shining right on my face. When I fled the classroom as soon as the lecture was over, guess what I found!

The often bald and dying bushes in the entrance of riverside park were blooming with flowers! It made my day seeing fresh and saturated greens contrasted against bright whites, decorated with dots and bits of vibrant yellows.

Surprises never come solo.

Cherry blossoms are definitely my favorite thing in spring. The cute delicate shade of baby pink is just too precious not to love. It was still windy and chilly, so only some of the cherry blossoms have bloomed. The hunt to find them all on the tree was surprisingly fun and satisfying.

As I have done so many times during the winter season, I walked along the Hudson River and reached my favorite spot in the park (aka my bench, Max). It seems cloudy in the photo, but somehow the sun was bright in the south-west sky. Since it was just past 4pm, kids were practicing lacrosse and baseball down there in the turf field. One team ran couple times past me, the chit-chat slipping through their breathlessness made me smile, reminding me so much of good old high school days.

On my way back, I couldn’t resist but stand in front of this little patch to appreciate it a little more.

Tiny yellow flowers and vibrantly green grasses, dried tree trunk laying dead near them, bald branches with tiny green new leaves sprouting and stretching out, and a mossy duller green shade in the background. It was magical.

Fresh greens of the leaves, brick browns of the old buildings, and blue-greens of the roof. Quad, Barnard College.

Columbia University