‘Trump will not be the next President’, says J-School Dean

He said he’ll ‘find another country to live in’

A leading Columbia academic has told a panel he doubts Donald Trump’s chances of becoming America’s next President.

Steve Coll, the high-profile Dean of Columbia’s Graduate School of Journalism, said: “Donald Trump will not be the next President of the USA”, and that Trump’s record was one of opportunism, reports Pakistan’s Business Recorder.

He went on to say that should Trump be elected, he  would have to “find another country to live in”.

He made his comments on Friday during a panel discussion entitled “Friends, not masters: The post-Obama American-Pakistan equation” at the Lahore Literary Festival.

His comments could come as a blessing for Democrats if true – Trump claimed an emphatic win in the South Carolina primaries last night, putting him in pole position to take the Republican nomination.

On Hillary Clinton, Dean Coll said: “If Hillary Clinton were to become the next president, it would be easy for Pakistan to establish good relations with her because as a Secretary of State Hilary worked closely with Pakistan in very difficult times. She knows about Pakistan very well.”

Steve Coll has won two Pulitzers, and was a co-author of Columbia J-school’s recent critical report on the Rolling Stone’s flawed coverage of an alleged rape at the University of Virginia.

Columbia University