There are so many reasons you should leave campus – here are five

Seriously just hop on a subway already

New York… Did someone say New York? WE’RE IN NEW YORK.

This should be reason enough, but for those of you who need motivation to haul yourselves out of the MoHi (albeit lovely) bubble, read on.

Tired of eating in dining halls? Can’t have Nussbaum or dig Inn again?

Head down to Union Square for a slice of Joe’s Pizza. While we can’t deny that Koronet holds a special place in our hearts, it doesn’t hurt to explore other options. If you’re there on Saturday, check out the Farmer’s Market and wash that slice down with an apple cider.

If you haven’t tried Tacombi’s tacos yet (shame on you), jump on the 1 and head down to the Meatpacking District. Parked in the Gansevoort Market, the blue Mexican food truck is waiting for you. Go enjoy some of the best guacamole in New York, while wondering what you will choose for desert: A Nutella crepe from the cute French guy? A fresh smoothie? A Greek yogurt with any topping you could dream of? Or a bruffin, not a brioche, not a muffin, a BRUFFIN? You could spend all day in this beautiful food hall!

Tired of concrete? Wanna see some greeeen?

I know winter is coming… but that doesn’t mean we need to go into hibernation mode yet. The 72 hours spent in our caves with hot chocolates and Christmas movies can wait (yeah…guilty). Go frolic in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden — it’s free on Tuesdays! Or grab a warm drink and take a walk (or a date) on the High Line. Enjoy the view, the trees and even the art! Between the tags, the architecture and the colorful sculptures, your eyes won’t get bored.

Looking for some inspiration?

For a journey through time and space go to the MoMA to see some of Picasso’s sculptures, The Met to get a glimpse into life in Ancient Egypt, The Jewish Museum to see early Soviet Photography or The Cloisters to think about life among the gardens and stained glass.

To wander between light bulbs, lively photos and puzzling installations, go to the New Museum. Its spaceship-looking elevator will take you for a trip through contemporary art, all the way up to its rooftop, where you can watch New York City’s endless movements (already getting me inspired)… And take some cool pics and show off your city to your friends back home!

Try and snag a discounted ticket to a Broadway show, like Arthur Miller’s “A View From the Bridge” (a.m.a.z.i.n.g)! It’s so expensive to go here…might as well squeeze every little penny out of our student ID cards!

Bored of the Upper West Side? Wanna do some people watching downtown?

One Saturday, I spent the whole day in West Village and, in the space of an hour, I saw Stanley Tucci, Julianne Moore and Beyoncé. OK fine… the last one’s a lie. ( But seriously, between street dancers and musicians, fashionistas, photo shoots and all sorts of performances, the streets of New York are full of surprises.) You can run into your favorite actor shooting a new film. You never know…

So grab a coffee at La Colombe in SoHo and just… watch. Or explore some of the flea markets in Brooklyn. Watch the hipsters try on grandma coats and do some Macklemore thrift shopping yourself!

Need to get your mind off work?

There is something grounding about stepping onto the 1 and disappearing into a swarm of people, all of them with different stories. You can catch pieces of unexpected conversations and observe what people are reading around you. When they are not on their phones, some people are reading “Fifty Shades of Grey” and awkwardly covering the cover in the hopes that no one notices. Oh we know hun. It can be the perfect jolt when you’re stressing about school.

What I’m trying to say is… explore the city. Get off your Butler seat and jump on the train. Who knows, maybe HONY will find you? If that’s not reason enough, then I don’t know what is…

Columbia University