FINAL FOUR: What is the best bar in Clemson?

VOTE NOW

Over 1,700 votes later and we’re down to the Final Four Clemson bars in our best bar competition.

Unlike our basketball counterparts, there was little first round drama in the competition. Each winner had plenty of breathing room this time around, but it won’t always be that way.

The Esso Club’s legendary status held firm, as they were able to beat out newcomer Kung Fu Cantina with 83 percent of the votes. TD’s used their size and strength to take down Loose Change with 67 percent of the votes.

The neighboring showdown of Tiger Town Tavern and 356 ended with TTT moving on with 75 percent of the votes. The last showdown of the first round ended with the local support of Backstreets overpowering the Thirsty Thursday love for Wingin’ It with 62 percent of the votes.

Which means the Final Four match-ups are The Esso Club vs. TD’s and Tiger Town Tavern vs. Backstreets.

The common theme between the four advancing bars is their deep roots in downtown Clemson’s history. Scores of alumni have spent (and maybe forgotten) their time at these watering holes. These bars have been etched into the hearts of students, and the voting certainly showed.

This round of voting will end this Friday, April 8th, at 12pm.

The Esso Club vs. TD’s

Two game day favorites are going head to head in the semifinals.

Although The Esso Club is a bit off from the main bar spots on College Ave, The Esso Club’s reputation as Clemson’s most famous bar helps pull students and locals from the typical strip of bars. Every time ESPN and College Gameday are in town for a visit, it seems they make mention of the Esso Club. Not a bad shoutout, if you ask me.

TD’s is the another classic gameday bar. Directly across the street from Bowman field, where College Gameday sets up location, it’s easy access to start (or continue) your tailgating festivities. Aside from gamedays, TD’s is well known for their karaoke nights, pool, and live music.

Tiger Town Tavern vs. Backstreets

Two popular bars with loyal customers and large floor plans. Both have an upstairs, pool tables and patios. Also, both are filled with devoted locals and students – so what’s the deciding factor?

Backstreets is exactly that – tucked away on Earle Street, just a block off of the main strip. When the weather is nice, expect to find the patios of Backstreets to be full. A more underrated aspect about Backstreets is that they consistently have a solid rotation of new beers, like ciders or IPAs on tap, for those who want to expand their beer horizons.

Tiger Town Tavern seems to have something for everyone. Do you want to sit outside, make small talk with friends and smoke a cig? Go for it. Do you want to listen and dance to live student bands? You can. Do you want to play some competitive pool or darts? Do it. Tiger Town Tavern always seems to have something going on and easily fits everyone’s late night agenda.

Clemson University