No city like the Holy City: Why Charleston, SC is the greatest hometown

If you can’t find something to do in Charleston, you aren’t trying hard enough

Charleston, SC, got its name as the “Holy City” because of the many church steeples that paint the skyline. But the name is certainly fitting, and I feel blessed to be a local. Words cannot do Charleston justice, but I can try.

Recently named the best small city in America, the awards seem to roll in more frequently than the harbor tide. Charleston is a city that requires you use all five senses to appreciate the southern charm, but leaves you wanting more.

A place where a simple “hello” to a stranger walking past could easily lead into an hour-long conversation, and a new friend. Let’s break-down why I feel so lucky to be a local.

Shrimp and grits

You can’t talk about Charleston without talking about shrimp and grits. A simple smell of freshly-made shrimp and grits will leave one drooling. This local dish is the king of Charleston, the pièce de résistance, and will leave you asking for seconds before you’ve finished your first plate.

The beauty of this dish is that no two people seem to make the same type of shrimp and grits. There are a million ways to put your own twist on the classic dish, while preserving the authenticity of the local favorite, with each style unique and delicious.

Oyster roasts

Although shrimp is a Lowcountry staple, there’s even more seafood to enjoy in Charleston, like oysters. In fact, it isn’t a winter in Charleston until you’ve been to an oyster roast.

If you aren’t familiar, an oyster roast is when you invite people over to eat freshly steamed oysters, while having drinks and catching up. We love eating oysters so much that we just turned it into a party. Honestly, I’m not even sure if it’s legal to eat oysters alone.

Morris Island

Growing up in Charleston, nothing is more important than having a boat or knowing someone with a boat. Few things are as characteristic of summer as riding through the creeks, braving the choppy harbor waters to reach Morris Island.

Morris Island is an uninhabited island tucked behind Fort Sumter, where boaters have been celebrating their summer days for years. On any given Saturday in the summer, you can expect to find 20 or more boats anchored to the shore line with music blasting, dogs running and locals enjoying themselves.

Hootie’s Homegrown Concert

The end of summer is always a bittersweet time, but luckily, Darius Rucker helps ease our end-of-summer blues. Every August, one of Charleston’s favorite sons, Darius Rucker, performs at the Volvo Car Stadium (formerly Family Circle Stadium) with his old band and guest performers.

This outdoor concert fits around 10,000 people and is always the highlight of the year. Throughout the concert, Darius performs his own solo songs, Hootie and the Blowfish songs and a variety of choice songs. While nobody likes the end of summer, Darius closes out the Charleston summer with a bang.

Southern hospitality

Welcome to “America’s Friendliest City,” the nickname which has repeatedly graced Charleston. It’s a town where the locals pride themselves on their manners. We are raised to be considerate of our surroundings, and this kindness shows. Locals are always the first to offer a helping hand when in need, giving a sense of family.

As the salty smell of the pluff mud drifts along with the Atlantic breeze, there is a feeling of ease. Sitting on a dock and staring out at the marsh could be considered Lowcountry therapy, as all troubles seem to float away.

Imagine a place dripping with history, the freshest seafood, parties on uninhabited islands, great festivals and friendly people to help you find your way. This may sound like paradise, and that’s because it is paradise.

Charleston, the Holy City, is a slice of heaven on earth and the greatest hometown in the world.

Clemson University