I love going to Clemson with my high school squad

For starters, I didn’t have to worry about a crazy random roommate

Most people go to college to get away from their hometowns or from seemingly overbearing parents. But when there is a university as good as Clemson in your state, many people from your high school, including most of your squad, end up applying there.

Walking through campus every day, I usually see one or two people from high school at least once, and that doesn’t even include the ones who are in my classes. More importantly, I have the privilege of going to college with most of my “squad” from high school.

The squad in high school

Unlike the majority of freshmen, I didn’t have to worry about living with a crazy roommate because I room with two of my best friends. We hang out together without worrying if we like each other or not.

We can be sarcastic without worrying if we all have the same sense of humor. We borrow each other’s clothes, shoes, food, etc. without being concerned about invading personal space. It’s truly a blessing.

My roommates and I aren’t the only squad members who live together. All of the boys (except for one) live together too, and the other one lives in the same apartment complex.

It’s seriously so much fun to hang out at their apartment on the weekends because it’s like our whole group is there. The weekends usually consist of NCAA football on the PlayStation, Wii Sports Resort and most of all, Guitar Hero. Then, if it gets late, we can just stay over because we all know each other so well already.

Whenever I mention I go to college with most of my friends from high school, I usually get responses like: “But college is supposed to be a place where you expand your horizons,” or, “But if you already have all your friends from high school, how will you make new friends?”

My response? Just because I go to college with most of my squad from high school doesn’t mean our group can’t expand. Going to school and knowing someone will always have my back is so comforting.

Of course, not every member of the squad goes to Clemson, but most of them still go to college in South Carolina. They come up to visit a lot. Over summer vacation and breaks throughout the school year, we always get back together to celebrate holidays – even some holidays we’ve made up.

And although a lot of people may not agree with sticking so close to your high school friends, I feel pretty lucky my high school squad has now become my college squad.

Clemson University