The ultimate first year Bucknell bucket list

Everything you should do before your first year at Bucknell comes to an end

Although settled in a small, quiet town, Bucknell has many wonders that every freshman should experience before second semester finals roll around.

The campus, as well as the surrounding area, offers many scenic places that students can go to take in all that nature has to offer. Bucknell students can also visit various shops and restaurants in order to truly experience life in a small town.

Have a quad picnic

It may seem pretty simple, but add having a picnic on the quad to your Bucknell bucket list. With a beautiful view of the Bertrand Library, the quad offers a great spot to people watch as you enjoy your favorite food from The Bison. The open area of the quad is shaded by trees, so whether you’re in the mood for sun or shade, grab some take-out and head to the quad.

Don’t forget about the Susquehanna River

Grab a friend and take a short walk off campus down to the Susquehanna River. It is the perfect place to relax, chat, and enjoy the great outdoors with some good company. Before you step off campus, stop at Seventh Street Cafe on your way down to grab a coffee to keep you warm during those cold months, or make it iced to be a refresher when the temperature is higher.

Eat at Amami

Take a walk down to Market Street and stop by everyone’s favorite brunch joint, Amami. Order anything from a breakfast wrap, to a Nutella oatmeal, to a panini and pair it with a cup of coffee to kick off your morning and fill your stomach. Amami is the perfect place to go with friends on a Sunday morning to talk about the weekend’s happenings, or in-between classes during the week to distract yourself from studying.

Spend more time in the grove

The grove is one of the most underrated locations on campus. Before their first year comes to an end, every freshman should spend an afternoon (and no, dinner during orientation doesn’t count) in the grove. Whether it’s alone reading a book, or in a group hanging out with some friends, the grove is a great place for students to pass time and enjoy the beauty of nature.

Pig out at Sheetz

Reserve a Zipcar and head down the road to Sheetz. Grab some mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers, and any other food that you wish they served in the caf. You can sit down and enjoy your food, or take it back to campus. Be sure to stock up on snacks to keep in your dorm for some late-night eating and enjoy being off campus for a short time.

Deck out your wardrobe

If you didn’t do so the second you received your acceptance letter, head down to the bookstore and pick up the newest Bucknell apparel. Ranging in all styles and comfort levels, the bookstore offers a wide selection of apparel and accessories to show your school spirit. Be sure to pick up a cozy sweatshirt to throw on before those dreaded 8 a.ms.

Head down to super

Take a break from all the studying and spend your afternoon down at an infamous Super Saturday. Throw on some stylish clothes, grab some friends and head down. Super Saturday is the perfect way to spend your afternoon after having spent the week drowning in homework.

Dress up for every register 

Whether it’s showing your American spirit, or wearing an ugly Christmas sweater, pull out your favorite themed clothes or order some online to dress up for a themed party. Registers are a chance to dress up and take some cute pictures with your friends. During your first year, try to head to all of the different themed parties in case you don’t have a chance to check all of them out during your next three years.

Your first year at Bucknell is almost over. Get out and enjoy all that Bucknell and its surrounding area has to offer in order to experience life as a true Bucknellian during your first year.

Bucknell University