An honest packing list for freshman year at Bucknell University

Super Saturdays require more prep than you think

Welcome, naive first years, to your first taste of true Bucknell culture. We’re excited to have you. If you don’t already know, Bucknell is the greatest school in the world, from our academic prowess to our damn good parties.

And, as the time for move in quickly approaches, here are a couple things you might need to survive your first year as a bison.

A super cup

Within your first weekend at Bucknell, you’ll realize that finding a beer cup at a Super Saturday party is next to impossible. Bring your own, colorful sippy cup and fill it with some of your best pre-game mix.

You can pre-game on the go, and you’ll be feeling good when you get there (and not having to search through a muddy frat house for a cup).

A phone wallet

Nothing is worse than coming home from a crazy night out at a party only to discover you’ve lost your i.d. During the activities fair, grab yourself a sticky-backed phone wallet and never drunkenly search for your i.d. again.

Throwaway shoes

You don’t want to know what’s on the floor of a frat house, and you surely don’t want it on your nice shoes.

Bring a pair that still barely fit from middle school, and wear them into the ground.

Dining dollars for Flyson

Before you move in, slyly convince your parents to throw a couple extra bucks into your dining dollars in exchange for good grades.

We all know that drunk you won’t be able to pass up a greasy plate of Nacho Mac and having a couple extra bucks saved for moments like that surely won’t hurt.

A white T-shirt

Paint wars is, without a doubt, the highlight of freshman orientation. Pack an old, white t-shirt you can slather in paint, and then hang it as dorm-decoration afterwards.

LL Bean Boots

Bean Boots are the staple of Bucknell prep culture. Order yours right now, before they sell out, and you’re stuck sticking out like a sore thumb at a super Saturday for not having them.

Your ugliest fracket

All Bucknell students have been guilty of stealing a fracket at one time in their lives. But, if truly want to make your frat-party-jacket, steal proof, go find the hottest pink, craziest pattern jacket you can find at Walmart. And when you go out to a party, make sure to stash it somewhere very secretive- just not the bathroom.

A secret shoe box

Secret shoe boxes are the multi-tool of college dorm decoration, especially if you don’t put shoes in them. They serve as everything from an extra seat when you have friends over, to the perfect spot to stash a handle or two.

A bathing suit

It may seem like Bucknell exists in the middle of a farmlands, but rest assured, bathing suits are a quintessential piece of Bucknell packing. You’ll need one for a late-night dip in the Susquehanna, or for the famous canoe battleship.

An unapologetic love for bison

Though we don’t have any real bison on campus, bison pride runs strong throughout Bucknell. Our beloved Bucky attends almost every major event, and after your first year, you’ll practically bleed orange and blue.

There you have it, everything you need to survive your first year.

It flies by before you know it, so take it all in, and use these tips to have the greatest year of your life.

Bucknell University