The Tab BU is now accepting writers and photographers for Fall 2017

Applications are open to join our team this semester and here’s how to apply

The Tab was started by three undergraduates at Cambridge University in 2009 "as a reaction to out-of-touch campus newspapers."

Now, as the Guardian wrote in a 2016 article, it "has gone from an upstart student news website… to a venture capital-backed international media organisation making major strides into campuses across the UK and the US."

Only two years ago, a team of dedicated writers and friends brought The Tab to Boston University in an attempt to create a platform for students to connect with one another through writing and news.

The Tab BU was identified as one of the most successful US Tab Teams earlier this summer by US Editor, Matt McDonald, due to a surge in readership and traffic. Individual articles average between one thousand to three thousand views and we currently have more than four thousand readers on Facebook.

Campus Editors Gabi Turi and Ezgi Toper are now accepting applications for new writers and photographers to help keep this steady stream of content this year, and help us expand our News, Features, Guides, Fashion and Argument sections.

What can you gain from this experience?

If you're an aspiring journalist or communications major, The Tab BU is a great way to network with big names in the media industry.

The Tab scoops have appeared in major media sites, like The New York Times. Reporters from those organizations have even called Tab journalists when they want to know what’s happening on the ground.

Post-graduation job hunting is also made easier with The Tab. The best writers and reporters are hired after college to work at the Tab US headquarters in New York City and most have gone on to work at the world’s leading media companies. According to the about page, Ellie Pithers, one of the first editors of The Tab, is now Fashion Features Editor at British Vogue, and dozens more Tab graduates are working for companies like Reuters, VICE, the BBC, BuzzFeed and the Daily Mail.

How to apply?

The Tab BU is very much a hands-on learning experience with a few meetings (once a month or so), but you'll be in constant contact your Campus Editors.

We only accept registered Boston University students; however, we are not limited to a particular major or class year. No matter what school you're in at BU, if you love freedom and creativity in writing and photography, this is the place for you.

For writers: By clicking "Write for Us" on our home page you will be redirected to page that allows you to create an account and then pitch a story idea you would write if you were to be accepted onto the team. If your pitch is approved, you will then be contacted by an editor and they will guide you further.

For photographers: Email us some of your best shots to [email protected]. A variety of different techniques and features is preferred. No prior photography experience is required other than the ownership of a ~ nice ~ camera.

For any unanswered questions or concerns, please feel free to email [email protected] and good luck applying!

BU