A comprehensive guide to the neighborhoods of Boston

For those days when you want to get out of the ‘BU bubble’

Boston is known as one of the country's ultimate college towns, with over 50 colleges in the area and plenty of things for students to do, whether on campus or off. However, once you reach campus, sometimes it is hard to escape from the "BU Bubble" and explore the places outside of it.

There are 23 distinct neighborhoods in Boston, and all of them have parks, museums, attractions, and restaurants to explore. In a huge city like this one, it is not hard to find something to do during the day and throughout the night.

North

The northern part of Boston is split into four distinct neighborhoods: Beacon Hill, Charlestown, the North End, and the West End.

Beacon Hill, Boston's most historic neighborhood, is home to the Massachusetts State House and many other historical sites, including the Freedom Trail. The Boston Public Garden and Boston Common are good places to chill on a nice day, and if you want an Instagram opportunity, head to Acorn Street for beautiful brick row houses worthy of getting many "likes"

Charlestown is Boston's oldest neighborhood, and it overlooks the Boston Harbor. It is home to the Charlestown Navy Yard, the U.S.S. Constitution (the world's oldest commissioned navy vessel afloat), and also a historical site: The Bunker Hill Monument, which commemorates the Battle of Bunker Hill in the American Revolution.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWnuyk8AGPR

The North End is the hub for the Italian-American community in Boston, with great Italian eateries at every corner. In addition, the North End also contains the Paul Revere House, located right on the Freedom Trail.

The West End is one of the city's sports hubs, containing both TD Garden and the New England Sports Museum. If you're not interested in catching a Bruins or Celtics game, there are plenty of other places to visit, such as the Museum of Science and the Otis House.

East

Eastern Boston is home to East Boston, South Boston, and the South End (yes, you are reading that correctly: South Boston and the South End are both located in the eastern section of Boston.)

If you fly into Boston, East Boston is the first neighborhood you interact with in Boston – it is home to Logan Airport. East Boston also has one of the most beautiful waterfronts in the city, with ample beach access and sailing opportunities at the Piers Park Sailing Center for those hot, summer days.

South Boston, famously known as the setting for the movie Good Will Hunting, has residential areas, industrial areas, and everything in-between. It has a thriving Seaport District as well as a flourishing arts community; the Institute for Contemporary Art is right on the harbor, and Fort Point is a hub for the local arts community. A night out can be spent perfectly at the Lawn on D, with glow-in-the-dark swing chairs and lawn games, and South Boston is the place to be for the city's annual St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Obviously, I really like the Lawn on D.

Obviously, I really like the Lawn on D.

The South End of Boston is distinct for its markets. The SoWa Open Market, open every weekend from April to October, provides local artisans an outlet to share their products and passion. Boston Ballet resides in this part of the city, and the Boston Center for the Arts is located here as well, providing another home for Boston artists.

South

Southern Boston is home to many residential communities. Although mostly residential, the neighborhoods of Dorchester, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Roslindale, and West Roxbury, has plenty of things for students to experience.

Most green space in Boston is located in southern Boston, in an area called the Emerald Necklace Park System. The Emerald Necklace contains over 1,100 acres of local parks, spanning over the five neighborhoods.

Dorchester is the city’s biggest and most diverse neighborhood, with a vast array of things to do. Field’s Corner is the heart of the Vietnamese community in Boston, and contains the best Vietnamese restaurants in the city. Franklin Park, part of the Emerald Necklace, also resides in Dorchester, with lots of attractions for residents to enjoy, including the Franklin Park Zoo and a public golf course. Dorchester also contains Mid-Dorchester, a rapidly growing area mostly consisting of residential and small businesses.

Roslindale is home to a section of the Arnold Arboretum, a free, public space with almost 15,000 plants to check out. During the summer months, residents can also check out the farmer's market in Adams Park, which runs from June to November.

View this post on Instagram

#quiettime #walkthisway #emeraldnecklaceparks #olmsted #peacefulmorningwalk

A post shared by MydailyJPpond (@mydailyjppond) on Jul 16, 2017 at 10:13am PDT

West Roxbury also has its fair share of green space with Millennium Park. At Millennium Park, residents can check out its six miles of trails, playing fields, and a canoe launch on the Charles River.

West

West Boston is very familiar to BU students- BU is located in the western section of Boston along the Charles River. The Charles River hosts many events throughout the warm months of the year, including the Head of the Charles Regatta every fall. Although western Boston is very close to the BU bubble, you would be surprised to know how much there is to do right in our own backyard.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Brenda Campbell (@tscribe1) on May 21, 2017 at 4:38pm PDT

Every BU student knows all about Allston and Brighton, whether they live there as upperclassmen or participate in the infamous “Allston Crawl”. If the Allston crawl life isn’t for you, there is a thriving music and restaurant scene that is sure to please everyone. Catch a show at Paradise Rock Club or Brighton Music Hall, eat some great brunch food at Lulu’s, or, if you are over 21, spend a night with friends at Tavern in the Square (known to students as TITs).

Back Bay, known for its picturesque views of beautiful brownstones, is a perfect place to chill and to get the perfect Instagram post. Newbury Street is home to many popular shops, restaurants, and coffee shops, and the Boston Public Library is one of the best places to study off-campus.

View this post on Instagram

Sundays in Boston #beantownpix #backbay

A post shared by Boston, MA (@beantownpix) on Jul 16, 2017 at 12:51pm PDT

The Fenway-Kenmore neighborhood is very convenient for BU students, with many things within walking distance. Grab tickets to a Red Sox game or catch a show at either Symphony Hall or House of Blues.

Central

Central Boston contains the most neighborhoods, with six neighborhoods total: Bay Village, Chinatown, Downtown, Jamaica Plain, Mission Hill, and Roxbury. The biggest area in Boston also provides the most things to do.

Bay Village is one of the smallest neighborhoods in Boston, and it is mostly residential. However, it is notably known as the home of the city's Theater District, so grab dinner and see a show for a memorable night on the town.

Boston’s Chinatown is the third largest Chinatown in the U.S., behind New York City and San Francisco. Specialty Asian shops and restaurants line the streets, making the neighborhood a hub for the city’s Chinese community. Chinatown is also home to the Leather District, a place where many restaurants and corporations have thrived since the 1980s.

Downtown is the heart of Boston, with activity bustling through the streets every day. City Hall resides here, as well as popular shopping destination Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, where you can get a quick bite to eat. City Hall Plaza hosts many festivals and concerts throughout the summer months (Boston Calling used to take place here), and Dewey Square and the Rose Kennedy Greenway provides space to lay out in the sun. Downtown Boston is also home to Downtown Crossing, a huge retail area containing many shops, including the first Primark store in the country.

Jamaica Plain is a part of the Emerald Necklace, sharing the Arnold Arboretum, Franklin Park, and Jamaica Pond with the southern neighborhoods of Boston. Local artists shine in Jamaica Plain, with the Hallway Gallery showcasing the works of the locals, and good music from local musicians can be heard during the neighborhood's PorchFest each summer.

Northeastern, Wentworth, and Massachusetts College of Art and Design students occupy the Mission Hill neighborhood, but other college students love to frequent the area. Mission Hill is home to the Avenue of the Arts, which is home to many art museums, including the Museum of Fine Arts and the Isabella Steward Gardner Museum. Students can get into the MFA for free with their ID!

Boston is a city to explore, and it worth stepping outside of campus whenever possible to explore the distinct neighborhoods and attractions the city has to offer.

BU