The best ways to give back in 2017

This year, ditch the normal, run-of-the-mill resolutions and do something that makes a difference

A new year means new beginnings, goals, resolutions, and intentions. While the most popular resolutions are to get fit, lose weight, and save money, why not set your sights on something a little more meaningful this year?

Giving back is one of the most beneficial and rewarding things you can do. It costs next to nothing and no gesture is too small. Smile at strangers, lend your time, or perform random acts of kindness. According to studies, science shows that humans are wired for kindness — we prefer compassion and our capacity grows with practice. So flex your kindness muscle in 2017. Here are seven easy ways to give back and help those in need.

Volunteer

Many people look for opportunities to volunteer during the holidays, but the truth is, volunteers are needed all year long. If you’re not excited about lending your time, consider all the benefits, not just to those you help, but for you as well. “Each person benefits from volunteering uniquely, so in a sense, the benefits can be limitless,” says Basil Sadiq, Marketing Associate at VolunteerMatch. “In addition to feeling good, volunteering helps you learn (and build on) new skills, meet new people, and explore alternate career paths while giving back directly to your community. All in all, it’s a win-win.”

There are countless ways to volunteer your time, you can serve food at a homeless shelter or soup kitchen, volunteer at a local school, coach a youth sports team, volunteer at a hospital, and more. Search online for volunteer opportunities in your area. If you can, find an activity you enjoy so you’re more likely to stick with it.

Donate

In a world of excess — food, clothes, technology, etc. — it’s easy to forget those who may be less fortunate. Rather than take our possessions and luxuries for granted, donate items to local organizations and charities. You can donate money, clothes, food, and/or time.

Besides the tax deduction, there are many benefits to donating items or service including helping others, setting a positive example, developing a greater appreciation for your own things, and more. Donating to others puts things in perspective, “giving to others increases your capacity for love,” according to FamilyShare. “It makes you realize that even if you don’t have much, you have enough to share with others.”

Give blood

If you get queasy around needles, go ahead and skip down to the next suggestion, if not, consider donating blood for a good cause. Blood transfusion is needed for women with complications of pregnancy, children with severe anemia, people with trauma, cancer patients, and many other medical and surgical procedures, according to World Health Organization.

Donating blood doesn’t cost you anything, besides your time, and in some cases you can earn money. If you’re a first-time blood donor, make sure you read these guidelines from the American Red Cross.

Be a Big Brother or Big Sister

Your own siblings may have annoyed you growing up, but some kids aren’t fortunate enough to have an older brother or sister for the good times and the sibling rivalry. Most of all, however, some children don’t have a positive role model or friend.

When you become a big brother or big sister, you have the opportunity to help shape a child’s future for the better by empowering him or her to achieve. If you want to make a difference in 2017, give the gift of friendship and lend your time to a kid in need. Check out the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America website to learn more.

Write letters or donate items to Operation Gratitude

Operation Gratitude sends care packages and letters to veterans, first responders, wounded heroes, caregivers, and more. You can donate money or items, help to assemble care packages, or write letters of appreciation. Check out the website to find out how you can get involved and say “thank you” to our service members.

Spend time with senior citizens

There are several different ways to help the elderly in your community. You can visit an assisted-living facility or spend time with a loved one or even a complete stranger who would otherwise feel lonely. You can also get involved in a companion program like Elder Helpers or Senior Companions and be a caregiver to elders who may require some daily assistance.

Not only will you be helping someone in need, but think of the stories you will hear and the wisdom and life lessons you will learn when you spend time with senior citizens. Your support and friendship can go a long way, according to create the good, you’ll benefit just as much as they do — and you can learn a lot too!

Random acts of kindness

So far, most of our suggestions have been organized ways to give back, but the best part of spreading kindness and compassion is that you can do it yourself every single day. If you’ve ever been the recipient of a random act of kindness, you know that even small things can lift your mood and brighten your day.

When you perform a random act of kindness for someone else, you share that same positivity and mood-boosting power with someone else. “You have the power to change someone’s life for the better in practicing a random act of kindness,” according to Mind Body Green so why not do what you can on a daily basis?

Remember, random acts of kindness don’t need to be elaborate, even little things can make a big difference;.

BU