A word of advice from my first college Halloween experience

Oh great, another Harley Quinn costume

Being the naive freshman I am, I had no idea what to expect this Halloween. People just kept telling me that Boston is the place to be, but I had no idea what that meant. Whether this was your first or fourth college Halloween, this should all sound pretty familiar.

You’re going to need three costumes (maybe more)

Thursday, Friday, Saturday night. Okay, finding one costume is difficult enough, but three? You’re going to want to find costumes that aren’t completely basic and don’t break the bank. Keep in mind that Pinterest could be your savior.

Amazon Prime is your best friend

If you’re like me, you didn’t plan your costumes with enough time ahead and had to order something a few days before the first night. Don’t fret, this is what Amazon Prime is for. However, you should take caution and know that sometimes Amazon Prime betrays you and your costume gets delivered the day after you need it.

Always get to the party early 

Everyone and their mother is out on Halloweekend, so the frats reach max capacity especially fast. You might think it’s totally okay to arrive fashionably late, but chances are you won’t be let in. You’ll then be forced to Allston crawl for the remainder of the night in 40 degree weather, cursing those five extra minutes it took to curl your hair.

Stay away from the clowns

Are you a BU student or some random civilian trying to kill me? I can’t tell, but regardless, I’m getting the hell away from you.

That moment you see five other people wearing your costume

Creativity is key. Even so, 18,000 other people attend this school, so chances are you won’t be the only “sexy cat.” It’s okay though, embrace it and maybe you can make some new feline friends.

Ma’am, where are your clothes?

As expected, some costumes tend to be a tad risqué. If you choose to simply wear the shortest skirt known to man kind, the most cropped shirt ever, and a police hat, then hey, you do you. Just know that Boston tends to be somewhat cold around this time.

Apply extra deodorant

The frat basements will be wall to wall with people. Don’t expect to be able to move, breathe, or have a conversation with the person next to you. The basements are also a sauna so you will be perpetually sweating – it’s a good look but not the best smell.

Sleep is for the weak

Who doesn’t love going to bed at four in the morning three nights in a row? I hate to break it to you, but don’t expect to catch up on all the sleep you lost studying for midterms.

Maybe four inch heels aren’t the way to go

Yes, it may add to your costume, but comfort is everything. You’re going to be walking all over Allston and then to T. Anthony’s, so if you’re wearing heels, you will most likely fall and be forced to sport multiple Thomas the Tank Engine bandaids on your body.

There is so much to do

You can go to a frat, a rave, or even another college. You can also stay in with your friends and watch classic Halloween movies (I recommend Hocus Pocus). All I have to say is that you should do something. You’ll make great memories with your friends and have a great time doing so.

But don’t be lame and not dress up. And if you do dress up, just don’t dress up as a clown. You’ll just create more problems for yourself.

BU