Warren Towers isn’t actually that bad

Is West really best?

Warren Towers gets a bad rep. One of the first and most important questions you can ask somebody when getting to know them at BU is Warren or West? Your answer may say more about you than you’d think.

When I tell people I live in Warren, they bombard me with condolences: “Oh I’m so sorry. That sucks!” “Did you choose to live there?” “I’m sure you can somehow switch to West.”

Ok yes, I’ll admit there are definitely negatives to living in Warren, but I did choose to live here. I honestly don’t regret it and no, I don’t plan on switching to West.

This is why.

You can’t beat the convenience

If you have a 9:30 a.m. class, you can wake up at 9:10 a.m. If you have a 10:00 a.m. class, you can wake up at 9:40 a.m. Unless you have a class in CGS, the convenience of having all of them right outside your building is incredible. We’re all lazy and you don’t want to walk 20 minutes back and forth to class everyday when it’s below freezing, trudging through the snow reevaluating your life choices.

Jamba Juice. Enough said 

A fruity heaven is literally connected to Warren. You don’t even need to walk outside to get yourself a meal. Plus, you can experience this fruitiness any time of day you want, not just in between classes, when you’re so close by.

Office hours

We’re all busy college students and the thought of taking an hour out of your free time to go to one of your professor’s office hours can seem like the worst thing in the world. Mix that with the thought of walking 20 minutes from West to get there and you’ll find you’re talking yourself out of going. By living in Warren it’s easy to always force yourself to go to office hours because they’re all so close and you get a lot out of them.

The Dining Hall (well, the Bay State Dining Hall)

Ok, so maybe the Warren Dining Hall itself is nothing to brag about, but the Bay State Dining Hall sure is and it’s only a five minute walk away. A lot of students in West have never even had the chance to experience the pure bliss that is Marciano Commons.

Who needs the library?

Because Warren is argued to be way less social, it’s much quieter. If you choose to sleep until 2pm, no problem. If you choose to go to sleep at 10pm, that’s ok too. This also makes it much easier to get homework done. Why would you leave your warm and quiet room to travel through the tundra to get to the library?

Screaming athletes, always

Because BU has so politely turned on the heat in the dorms, even when it’s not needed, it’s probably a good idea to open the windows to avoid constantly sweating. Well, this might not be the right move if you live in West. Waking up to screaming athletes at dawn on the weekends is a sure way to piss anybody off. Like I said, if you want to sleep until 2pm and live in Warren, it’s not a problem.

Insomnia gets here faster

Of course you’re not going to actually leave your dorm to get Insomnia Cookies, even though it’s less than a block away- you’re obviously going to order it. It’s so close that it will get to you over ten minutes faster than it would get to West. And yes, those ten minutes make a huge difference.

NOTE: This same rule applies to Noodle Street.

You probably shouldn’t skip class

The temptation of skipping class is real, even when living in Warren. The only thing preventing me from sleeping through all my morning classes is the fact that they’re all so close. Living in West would make skipping classes far more tantalizing, which is not good for anyone’s GPA.

FitRec

The fact that you talk yourself out of going to FitRec everyday because it’s so far away may seem like a con, but let’s be real, you probably wouldn’t even go to FitRec even if you lived in West. Then because you live seconds away from the gym, you would have to deal with the guilt of not ever going. Trust me, it’s easier this way.

Yes, it’s tragic that you may have to travel all the way to West on the weekends to meet your friends to go to Allston or do whatever else. With that said, you’ll be refreshed and energetic because of all the extra sleep you got.

BU