How ‘Fuck Donald Trump’ became the phrase of FYSOP

An interview with the man who led the chant

“Fuck Donald Trump.”

The iconic phrase was forever emblazoned on an unsuspecting FYSOP 27 during its programming night, when rapper Latrell James took the stage to close out the event. Emboldened by the performance of his predecessor, slam poet Jonathan Mendoza, whose poems include some expletives, James took the liberty of swearing liberally – literally. He encouraged audience members to chant “Fuck Donald Trump” between verses, first at a whisper and then enthusiastically.

Perhaps more unsuspecting, however, were FYSOP volunteers when their coordinators hurriedly took to the stage immediately following James’ performance to discuss the events of the evening. Coordinators issued frantic apologies to a sea of confused expressions, assuring the audience that FYSOP would remain a safe-space, where participants would not be denigrated, regardless of their political views. Several expressed their regret over the potential alienation of any possible Trump supporters in the crowd. Volunteers, already run-down by days that had started up to 16 hours before, were either given permission to leave by their leaders or left on their own accord.

Following the incident, FYSOP coordinators’ actions were seen as controversial. While some acknowledged and supported their efforts to maintain FYSOP’s safe space, others criticized the move, calling the late night reflection an overreaction, bordering on appeasement.

Days later, James later tweeted, “Freedom of speech is only okay until you offend someone,” but neither James nor FYSOP officials released an official statement about the proceedings of programming night in the days that followed.

We interviewed James about that night.

Your music is both personal and political. As a musician, what role, if any, do you think artists should play in politics?

I consider my music a stream of my conscious. Things that affect my life directly and things that affect people around, all end up in my music. I think artists should play a role in politics because we are first and foremost humans. Politics is a global happening that impacts us all. We should speak up about ideals and issues politicians present to us.

What issues are you most passionate about?

The most important issue to me is equality and breaking down barriers of racial injustice that have been taking a toll on communities. Free speech is another big one for me.

Were you contracted to perform at FYSOP 27?

There was definitely a contract.

What terms, if any, did those contracts include about the use of expletives in performances?

There were no terms about using expletives during my performance.

What inspired you to lead the “Fuck Donald Trump” chant?

I was inspired by what the poet before was stating in his poems. He mentioned his identity crisis, being half Mexican and the struggles of being it in this country. I felt what he really wanted to say was “Fuck Donald Trump” so I said it for him.

What was your experience like immediately after you got off stage?

Strangest experience I can remember in the last five years of my life. There were mixed reviews from the audience but I’m completely okay with that. We live in a society where a politician can stand in front of a podium on national television and speak freely of what he or she does not like with zero consequence. Freedom of speech is a right that we all have been gifted in this country and I plan to exercise it every opportunity I get.

Who are you supporting in the election? 

Hillary. I like to spend my vote focusing more so on communities. Mayors, governors and city counselors have direct impact on places I walk to everyday. Those are the superhero’s of our neighborhoods.

FYSOP’s program managers, on the other hand, were more reluctant, saying that the event had been “weighing on [them] for a while, and [they] were hoping to not discuss it further,” but they wanted to “be involved in making sure [they] provide[d] any facts [they could].”

Were the artists who performed at FYSOP 27’s program night contracted?

Yes, the performers all signed a contract with us prior to their performance. FYSOP Program Night performers completed the same on-campus performer contract that all performers brought in by student groups complete.

The terms of the contract can be found on Org Sync. (As James stated earlier, the contract makes no mentions of restrictions regarding expletives. However, the contract’s section on restrictions does contain a vague clause forbidding performers from “otherwise behav[ing] in an unsafe or careless manner.”)

How long has the CSC/FYSOP been in contact with Latrell James?

This was Latrell’s third year performing as part of FYSOP Program Night.

What prompted the emergency reflection after his performance? 

The FYSOP program emphasizes service, education, and reflection. All CSC programs work to include ample time to discuss and work through students’ experiences. Our program managers elected to have a talk back with the audience due to the challenging material presented in each of the night’s performances. We strive to uphold a safe, welcoming atmosphere for our students, while recognizing the importance of engaging in difficult conversations.

What is the CSC/FYSOP’s stance, if any, on Donald Trump?

The CSC is a civic space, encouraging the type of convening and association between people that allows for plural conversations between people with different beliefs, values, and lived experiences. FYSOP brings together individuals with a variety of political opinions, and we do not promote or disprove of any particular beliefs.

BU