This BU sophomore is an inspiration to all African women

‘They think that because of the country I belong to, I am not prepared for the real world’

Already a fan forming celebrity, Lornex Rono is a second year college student who has become an inspiration to many African people, especially women. She is now aiming to build an organization that brings together Kenyans and other Africans to unite as a community in order to enrich and maintain their culture. Just recently, she prepared and submitted a proposal to the World Bank Youth Summit, asking to build an education community center in rural areas of Kenya. Many girls there are often neglected and not given the resources they need.

She gives advice to college students on how to deal with racism, telling them that no matter how the world perceives you, faith in yourself can lead to any goal. “Never let people pull you down,” she said, “the only kryptonite that should affect you is yourself.”

Rono moved to the U.S when she was 15. Her father was her foremost caretaker after her mother and oldest sister moved away when she was young. Rono’s mother moved to the U.S. five years before her, but they didn’t speak a word while apart. Coming to the U.S. and reuniting with her mother made her family whole again.

She is now a sophomore at Boston University who continues to be an inspiration while balancing her college life.

Lornex Rono standing beside Boston University’s College of Arts and Sciences

What struggles have you faced as an African woman in a predominantly white society? 

A lot of people have only one perception of Africa in that they think we are a struggling society. They think we have poor education, our economy is suffering and all the other third world problems- which in my opinion are just partial point of view. When they see us, they do not think of us as capable, they do not think we have the potential to become successful. They think that because of the country I belong to, I am not prepared for the real world, which is why I have been looked down upon so many times.

It’s very degrading when people think I do not have the skills. Africa is a big continent – how can every person be categorized or judged in the same manner? It’s really hard when people show me sympathy just because of my skin color. I’m out to prove that, “Honey, I’ll be just fine on my own.”

What are some things you have achieved that make you feel more empowered?

I graduated high school with a 4.7 GPA and was the captain of both the soccer and track team at my high school. I won the Harvard Book Award when I was a junior in high school, as well as holding the president title of the National Honor’s Society. All of these helped me get into Boston University through the Thomas Menino Scholarship, which really aided my financial struggles.

Lornex Rono standing with some of her trophies and medals.

I was able to intern as a Nelson Fellow in the United States Federal John Joseph Moakley Court House. I have also been selected to present a TED Talk at Harvard University, and I currently rank third in the category of Top 25 Under 25 Most Promising Women in Kenya.

I had the opportunity to host SNAP 254, which is a Kenyan snapchat that had thousands of Kenyans participating in it and was able to inspire all of them. I will soon set up my own organization that will help Kenyans grow stronger as a community and as a unit. I am also currently a board member of BU SERA which stands for Sustainability, Empowerment and Rights in Africa. I take care of my family by working and earning enough to pay for my college expenses so that my parents can carry on with their life and work without stressing over financial problems. So yes, I am in some ways a busy woman.

What is Snap 254?

Snap254 is a Snapchat story page similar to that of the BBC’s. It is a platform for Kenyans to network with each other and get to know about others’ life experiences and ambitions. Lots of people have been interested in my life story, and it was a good way to share my experiences with young Kenyans. I was happy to be able to inspire them in a small way, and today, Africans from all over the world write letters to me, talking about themselves. I reply by giving them advice or just something to motivate them with. The name is actually significant since 254 is Kenya’s country dial code.

What pushed you to do all of this at such a young age? 

I feel that the United States is a country full of opportunities and I want to make the most of them. I can dream big and actually hold a chance to fulfill them. I have a chance to legitimately make a change, and to me, taking these small steps will finally put me at the top.

Do you want to go back to your own country or remain in the United States? 

Since the US has so much to offer, I want to utilize all and build a strong foundation for my career, and then eventually go back to my country. I think a lot of organizations in the US are very influential and have a big impact on what takes place in most African countries. Therefore, if I hold a position in one of these organizations, I can utilize their tools and then help out the people of my country.

What contribution will you bring to your country?

I want to promote the initiative to help and empower young women. There are so many brilliant minds, whose only reason not to pursue education is due to lack of electricity. I want to ensure that education is a primary and non negotiable aspect of every African child out there.

Lornex Rono (second from right in the first row) with her conference colleagues.

What is it that you want out of life?

I truly just want to be happy, pretty much like everyone else. I want to be successful and disprove the general perception people have of African women. Everyone looks at me and sees a strong, spirited, outgoing extrovert when truly, I am as much introverted as others. The emotions within me help to formulate my ideas, but that does not give me a right to push them on anyone. Take a look at Michelle Obama, she is an inspiring women no matter what people say.

This shows that I have a chance too, so why not take it and give it all I’ve got.

BU