I tried boxing for a week and it was lit

Everything but the picture they took of my post-workout ‘glow’

If you live in West Campus or frequent T’s pub, you’ve definitely passed by the Ring boxing club. Like most BU students, it never really occurred to me to try out boxing at an expensive club when there’s FitRec, and a kickboxing PDP.

Except lets be real, sometimes doing the same workout every day just doesn’t cut it, and that kickboxing PDP fills up reaaaaal quick.

So when two of my friends came back from their first free trial class at the ring all excited about their new boxing gloves, the FOMO was real so I got the Groupon. Side note for anyone who’s never used Groupon, highly recommend.

The Ring offers a Groupon that costs around 30 bucks, and you get to go to as many classes as you want for a full week, and then another five classes, PLUS you get your own set of gloves and wraps in a cute little bag.

admit it, you wish you had these

The first class was honestly really hard, and I’m not just saying that because I’m small and not athletic. People of all ages and sizes, including some really fit looking men, were in the same beginners class as me, and we were all absolutely dying.

Here are my tips for success if you try out the free trial week at the Ring.

Bring a friend

the homegirl

Going with a friend who was also new to boxing definitely made the classes way less intimidating and way more fun. A lot of the workouts, such as the 12-round workout, are done with a partner, and I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed holding onto a random persons ankles while doing leg raises.

Maybe wear a cute workout top on the first day

so unfortunate

After your first free trial class, they will take a picture of you, and they will post it on their official Facebook page. They purposely take the picture right when the class ends to capture your post-workout “glow” (who actually glows in a cute way after working out? Lmk).

Don’t let the place intimidate you

The Ring isn’t just a room full of punching bags, there are cardio machines, weights, and an actual ring that can be used for a bunch of different types of workouts – you’ll learn that the hard way if you take the 12-round class.

The intro classes are specifically for beginners, and the instructors will not expect you to know anything about boxing, or to be good at it. I can personally say boxing is not my talent and I really appreciated how patient and caring the instructors were.

Most importantly, have fun and don’t feel bad if you actually suck at boxing. Gotta try everything once ya know?

BU