Why we need to support Kesha

The justice system failed her and we can’t

On Friday February 19th New York Supreme Court Justice Shirley Kornreich denied an injunction from Kesha that would have granted her leave to terminate her contract with Producer Lukasz Gottwald (Dr. Luke).

Kesha filed the original lawsuit in 2014, the charges including “sexual assault and battery, sexual harassment, gender violence, civil harassment, unfair business, and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.” She also claims that he drugged and raped her on at least one occasion.

So what exactly is she going to court for two years later?

In all of that time, Kesha had added Sony Music to the suit and Dr. Luke filed defamation suits against her, her lawyer, and her mother. Kesha also filed the injunction that was ruled on last week. It was a plea to be released from her contract with Dr. Luke because the situation was effecting her personal health and career.

Kesha after being told her injunction was denied

The injunction was denied on the counts that the contract is one that is “heavily negotiated and typical for the industry,” said Justice Kornreich. This denial does not dismiss the lawsuits, but what does it mean?

The contract that Kesha and Dr. Luke are engaged in is one that limits her creative freedom. She cannot release/make any music unless it is through Dr. Luke. She entered the contract at age 18 (she is now 28), which means the details were much more restricting than those of another artist’s contract. One of the specifics ties Kesha to Dr. Luke until she has made six albums (she’s only made three).

So why is all of this important (if you haven’t figured it out already)?

Kesha is being forced to continue to work with someone who she does not feel safe with. Though it cannot be physically proved that he raped and assaulted her, why don’t we believe her? Why is it that we cannot being ourselves to support a woman who feels threatened by someone who she has to work with every single day? News stories continue to use the word “alleged” when referring to the assault, and Kesha is being asked to recount the incidences over and over again. Why are we forcing her to relive the worst parts of her life just to prove they’re real?

Women are being told we’re supposed to brush our sense of security and safety aside for whatever the people around us want. We’re supposed to hide the bad things that happen to us, because they’re “embarrassing” and no one will believe us or take us seriously. God forbid we should talk about being assaulted because it will make us “dirty.” This whole case is only supporting this mindset, this idea that being treated like someone’s plaything is okay.

“I think that this goes to show why people, both boys and girls, won’t come forward about their rape because traditional court has showed us that they deicide [what happened],” said Lex Mitchell, CAS ’19.

“It’s not ‘Let’s try to figure something out,’ it’s “No, I don’t think you were raped.'”

Remember when Chris Brown assaulted Rihanna in 2009? He “apologized” and “got help,” and they got back together eventually. Where along the line did people forget what happened? Is this what will happen with Kesha?

But not all has to be lost. Celebrities like Taylor Swift, Demi Lovato, Adele, and Lena Dunham, as well as thousands of fans, have shown clear support for Kesha. Dunham wrote a letter discussing the complete injustice of the situation.

When women in public positions speak out against injustice, they show the world that they are not afraid. They show women that we shouldn’t be afraid to call the bullshit that is how the world treats us sometimes, that we shouldn’t be ashamed.

Kesha recently posted a heartfelt response to all the support in which she thanks everyone for standing with her.

BU