MBTA plans to cancel late-night service

It was only supposed to last a year anyway

The MBTA is ready to cancel late-night service for riders.

In December of last year, the MassDOT Board of Directors met with the MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board to discuss the current status of the green line and the proposed expansion plan.

Following the meeting, MBTA General Manager Frank DePaola made the decision to cease construction work on the expansion until the scheduling, budgeting and design flaws of the current plan are revised.

On the MBTA website, DePaola is quoted saying: “The Look Back report has brought clarity to two important factors in this decision: first, the construction manager/general contractor project delivery method was not successfully implemented; and second, that we need a complete reassessment of the project’s design, scope, and cost.”

This expansion plan with its $3 billion price tag, a $1.08 billion increase from previous estimates, has officials calling into question current green line expenditure. With cutbacks imminent, the heavily debated late-night green line service is in jeopardy.

Source: Interim Review of the MBTA Late-night Service Pilot Program February 5, 2015

Late-night service began as a pilot program on March 28, 2014. It was planned to last for one year. During this trial period, the MBTA wanted to see how the public would utilize the installation. The pilot program was later extended through June 19, 2015 in an effort to collect more public feedback.

Currently, the current MBTA subway schedule online shows no indication of any significant time changes. However, with future board meetings planned, there is no guarantee that these service time frames will remain.

BU