Why BU bridge has the most Instagram worthy views

Watch out bikes i’m getting in your way for a photo

The wind tries to topple you over, push you either into traffic or over the railing, or in anyway relieve you of the very tedious task of being on your feet.

Add trying to take a picture to that mix, and standing in whichever way the wind is blowing, makes taking in the view a core workout just to keep your balance.

The resulting picture is not a reminder that you bested nature when it tried to knock you down.

People on bicycles are attempting to get somewhere fast, which is why they’re riding a bike and not walking. If you think they are just casually riding along when they’re on the sidewalk you’re very very wrong.

That’s when they get up close and personal while trying to pass you while you’re walking. But when you’re standing trying to take the iconic BU bridge picture, they seem to try and run you down while whistling on their way to wherever they’re going.

This makes the picture even more breathtaking because you risked getting a tire print on your forehead.

A leg off of bicycles trying to run you over, getting into peoples’ way while they’re trying to take a picture off the bridge is flustering – unless you’re the kind of person that revels in their photobombing techniques.

Likewise, people getting in your way while you’re trying to take the perfect picture can be quite frustrating, but when you finally get the shot, it’s better than can be hoped for.

People walk with people places, it’s the social thing to do. Your friend’s not stopping for you while you’re taking a picture to commemorate your uneventful walk over the bridge, but still want to celebrate with a photo, is apparently not the social thing to do.

It turns into a slightly stressful production if you’re prone to anxiety because when you’re done taking your picture you have to run to catch up to your friends, and some people just walk way too fast. But then later when you post the stress-producing picture on Instagram, you’re compensated by getting lots of likes.

To be serious, one of the biggest problems with the BU bridge is that they never maintain the sidewalks on the bridge. One wrong step and you could fall into traffic or against the railing, and it would be terrifying.

Add to that fact that you’re slipping and sliding, and trying to find footing to be able to stand still to take a picture of the frozen view, you feel pretty badass when you’ve succeeded.

To get the right angle for just the right picture, you feel like you have to walk to precisely the right spot while looking at your phone and not where you’re walking, which is sideways. You have to keep looking at your phone so you don’t miss what could be the perfect angle.

After some tripping over yourself, and air, and bumping into people, you’ve become quite adept at walking sideways without looking where you’re going. And the pictures come out perfect, of course.

Sometimes to stay out of peoples’ way while taking a picture of the legendary view off of BU bridge, you have to step pretty close to the railing. This makes you feel like one small gust of wind and you might drop your phone in the Charles.

Pro: the railing makes a good stabilizer so your pictures don’t come out the least bit blurry. Con: you feel as if you might crush your phone with your bare hands because you really don’t want it to fall into the Charles.

Lesson to learn: sometimes a risk makes the best picture.

Sometimes everything just won’t fit into the frame, the DeWolfe Boathouse, the whole river, and the new BU law building, you have to back so far up that you might in fact fall into traffic. While this is prime for everything-in-frame pictures, you might have to wait until people pass in front of you, or until a polite pedestrian stops to let you take the picture.

Proud of being able to fit everything into the frame, you walk away alive and out of danger of falling into traffic, and with one of the best pictures you might have taken. You maybe contemplate becoming a professional photographer, but decide you like to keep yourself intact and not squashed under a car.

However way you cut it, and no matter what you had to go through to get them, the pictures are definitely worth it.

BU