The best alternatives to Netflix and Chill at BU

Just because you’re a broke college student, doesn’t mean you can’t be romantic

All you need is your student ID.

That’s right, the $7.99 a month you used to put on Netflix was used in a desperate attempt to treat yo’self with some Chipotle and now you have #someragrets.

While you’re stuck looking for the next big thing to replace Netflix and Chill, we’ve got you covered

YouTube and Cuddle

It’s free on school WiFi. Score!

Nothing will strike your significant other more than showing them your favorite YouTube gurus or that video on how soap looks when it is microwaved.

Dining Hall Date and Chill

That’s right. It’s time to use one of your 10 guest swipes on your special someone – your mom can eat at the GSU, she’ll be into Loose Leaves I promise.

Swipe your person in and see how their face lights up when they get the chance to eat food at one of the nation’s best dining halls.

There is nothing more romantic than small talk in the line to get potato chip nachos, and you can even treat them extra by grabbing a chocolate mousse from the dessert bar without them even asking.

Your significant other is gluten free? No problem.

The gluten free station is always poppin’, and nothing sets the tone like meeting your dates dietary needs.

Quiet Study room at Stuvi and Kilachand and Chill

Sometimes all you need is just intense eye contact.

Go to the quiet study room at Stuvi or Kilachand for some serious sense invigorating chilling.

This is a great option for those who are worried about small talk. There’s no talking allowed, it’s a once in a lifetime experience.

The views of the city are pretty amazing, incase your significant other’s eyes start looking creepy.

Free concert at the T station and Chill

If you’re lucky, you can just go into a T station and without even tapping your Charlie card you can hear the distance odes of a T performer.

Get a picnic blanket, some food you snuck out from the dining hall, and you basically have a picnic and a concert at no direct charge to you.

Go to Late Night Kitchen at Bay State and Chill

Late Night Kitchen literally has tables set up with semi-dim lighting, it’s like basically waiting for you to take your other half there to woo them.

You’re going to change it up from the swipe. That’s right. Dining Points.

Eat at the Late Night Kitchen and order like you’re royalty – because it’s being charged to your dining plan and you’ll probably have extra points left by the end of the semester anyways.

The best part is they have a bowl of mints waiting for you when you get out, so you don’t need to restrict yourself away from the spinach artichoke dip.

Go to an MIT frat instead of BU frat and Chill

(And they tend to have themes!)
Hit up an MIT frat for a change, and skip Allston.

It’ll show your person you don’t mind spending a night being classy in the comforts of the mansions MIT fraternities get away with calling their frat houses.

Classiness always wins.

Esplanade and Chill

This is a given. You literally can walk toward the water, sit at a bench or under one of the trees, and call it a date because of the city lights.

You might get a whiff of some funky smells, but I’m sure your date will be too mesmerized by the Charles to ask any questions. The Esplanade is not only one of the most romantic spots on campus, but it is also free as heck…so take advantage of this Nicholas Sparks scene waiting to happen.

Mugar and Chill

Show your significant other you are more than the spunky individual who can pennyboard down Commonwealth. You study too!

Take your person to Mugar Library and watch them stealing looks at you studying for your 101 classes.

They’re going to be impressed you take school seriously. Smart people.

Visit your RA and chill

Show your other half that although you are young, you are mature enough to have older, responsible friends. Introduce him/her to your RA, and all of a sudden you will be taken more seriously.

It’s a universal truth, if you are friends with your RA, you are automatically the same maturity level as them (except the one awkward time they found you wine drunk in the hallway).

Your significant other will be so baffled you have older and successful friends they might even be speechless the whole time you are sitting on your RA’s beanbag chair.

Christmas lights and Chill

IT’S SELF EXPLANATORY. NOTHING IS MORE ROMANTIC THAN CHRISTMAS LIGHTS. DO IT.

Except don’t get the multi-colored kind – it’s just weird and unsettling.

BU beach and Chill

This kind of goes along with the esplanade alternative. The BU beach is notorious for cute picnics and watching stunning sunsets.

Get some food to-go from the GSU, bring a blanket, and head over the beach for a cute impromptu date. It might not be as romantic as watching Orange is the new Black on your aunt’s Netflix account, but I promise your significant other will appreciate the seeming effort.

BU