How to survive going out with your high school friends this winter break

Don’t ask how school is going

They’re the people you’ve known you since you were an awkward teenage high school freshman and now that you’ve become a cool college kid you find yourself revisiting the good old days.

While on your break back home these are the best tips to skip out on those awkward encounters with your previous high school peers.

Avoid making any comments on your peer’s appearances

Let’s say you see one of your old high school acquaintances. You simply notice something different about them.

It is true that “college changes people” but you simply can’t put your finger on what’s different.

In your mind you would think that would be safe to comment on her new nose piercing – what college hipster girl goes to CU for a semester, and doesn’t come back without any piercings, tattoos, or a profound pursuit in earth’s remedies?

“Oh my gosh, I love your new nose piercing! It looks great!”

You soon find out that she actually got her nose pierced in 2013.

Just ask people questions

People love themselves. So, they LOVE talking about themselves.

While in the depths of small talk just keep asking them questions, to keep the chit chat a rollin’ even if you truly don’t care about their reasoning on “why they aren’t going to school at the moment.”

Simply ask them about their time, ask them what they plan on doing.

Disregard your own boredom and simply keep the questions a commin’.

But avoid the question ‘How’s school going?’

This faulted question can only receive two responses.

1. “It’s going well”

2. “It’s not.”

The bottom line is that no one “likes” school. No one likes staying up till 3am finishing a term paper because you were out for the past three nights.

The task of getting an education is not an enjoyable pastime. What makes you like or dislike a school is the people, the parties, your roommate, your professors, the campus, the clubs, and other extracurriculars.

Ask what they have been doing besides going to class. “Are you in any clubs? How are they going? How did you get involved in them?”

Don’t hookup with that hottie from your high school English class

Yes, he was cute during all of his class presentations. But I can guarantee that you weren’t paying any attention to his content, because if you were you would know that hooking up with him would not be a good idea.

Toss your drunk goggles aside because you do not want to feel worthless in the morning.

Don’t get plastered

After a semester at college, you should know your limits. At all costs, you should avoid being the girl throwing up orange puff Cheetos and Svedka.

Don’t have your colleagues remember you that way because I guarantee that you’ll probably run into them at CVS the next morning.

While you are trying to throw up. Old friends will try to cross streams with each other in the same toilet.

Look presentable and be confident

You want to create an illusion that college is really treating you well. Simply that high school was just a bump in the road.

The key to being confident is looking good. So, put on your favorite outfit that girls would be jealous of, and guys would want to tear off, and go on and live it up. You are only at home for a month so you might as well make it a little less unbearable.

And after all, you probably did miss some of the people there.

BU national-us