Your guide to surviving FitRec

Survive among the professional bodybuilders and CrossFit champions

Let’s face it. FitRec is scary.

A lot of people simply refuse to go to FitRec because they find it too intimidating.

But with finals kicking all of our asses, working out is a great way to de-stress. So with that in mind, here are the best tips from a self proclaimed gymrat to help ease some of you gymtimidation.

Doesn’t it look spooky???

Take a day to scope things out

Nothing is worse than feeling like you have no clue where you are.

Instead of going into the gym for the first time with the expectation of having a stellar workout, take the time to learn where everything is.

This way, you can plan your workouts accordingly and also not look like a chicken with its head cut off because just you can’t seem to find the Smith Machine.

What are those?

Here’s a little floor plan for reference.

• First floor – Cardio equipment, free weights, benches, squat racks, etc. This area has a high male population.
  • Second Floor – Cardio equipment, free weights and machines. This area has a pretty mixed population and is generally less intimidating.
  • Third Floor – Track, cardio equipment, punching bags, and some free weights. This area has a high female population.

view from the third floor track

Find an unpopular time to work out

From my experience, the gym is most crowded between the hours of four and seven.

An overcrowded gym is a miserable time for even the most experienced athletes. To save yourself some unnecessary anxiety, find a time where you can have some personal space. You won’t have to worry about being in anyone’s way and you can grunt loudly while you lift without fear of judgment.

Bring a friend

There is definitely strength in numbers.

If you bring a friend with you to FitRec you can do things like scope out hotties, take selfies, and maybe actually work out in the process. Bringing a friend can make you feel more confident than you would if you went alone.

You’ll have someone to laugh off your mistakes with.

Find a quiet corner 

Whether you use it to do abs, stretch, or roll up into fetal position, it is always nice to have a little spot to be able to do your thang.

Check out the third floor for that. There are a lot of little alcoves and corners that are great for hiding out.

Me in my corner

Be confident

The best piece of advice I have is to just be confident in yourself.

I know it’s cheesy, but it’s true.

No one really cares about how much weight you can lift or how far you can run, trust me. As long as you have a confident attitude, people will mind their own business.

And if they don’t, then screw ‘em.

Just doing my thang

BU