A Cali girl’s take on Boston’s winter

I’m high-key terrified

When you see people in their rainbow sandals or birks, Brandy Melville dresses or vans attire, and hoodies when it hit the high 70s in temperature, you know they aren’t from these parts of town.

They are from a land far, far away, otherwise known as California.

SoCal terriers bundled up back in Cali, before we knew what cold really was

Being from Southern California, I can’t speak for those from NorCal about how different Boston is from home because it’s a different culture. But what I know for sure is that all Californians are struggling and low-key praying to the weather gods that the snow holds out for a bit longer.

I’m high-key terrified.

At school and at work people ask me where I’m from and the instant I say California their eyes widen and they all say “Get ready for winter.” Of course I say something back like, “I’ve heard it gets pretty bad but I guess I’ll have to try my best to deal with it!”

But inside I’m thinking “Holy crap, I am about to experience something that could potentially make me freeze to death.

“Ya gurl is not emotionally or physically prepared. Dear god, where is my California beach weather?”

Throwback to warmth

Yeah, yeah, I’ve purchased the snow boots and wool socks and snow jackets galore. But clothes can’t compensate for the terror that will be inflicted upon us Californians.

A typical winter’s day in California is probably about 65 degrees, at the coldest.

Over the summer I wore pants because I was cold (probably 75 degrees)

65 degrees

Sometimes it rains, but don’t count on it. One time there was actually some snow, but it was embarrassing compared to the snow Boston gets.

‘Snow’ in CA, notice the sunlight beaming down

All my friends back home post snapchats of them wrapped under blankets or in full winter coats and a hot chocolate in hand with the caption “winter is here” or “I love the cold!!”

But in reality, is winter really there for you guys. Is it really??

Because I’m over here in 40 degree weather and winter has yet to fully begin, and ya’ll are saying that 65 degrees is a cold winter for you. *insert sassy eyeroll emoji*

4real?

I have to admit, seeing snow fall for the first time will definitely be a beautiful sight.

It will for sure be on my story. BUT, I can assure you that after you see all the Californians documenting this event on their snapchat stories they will rush back into the warmth of their residences and realize that falling ice particles really aren’t that amazing.

In fact, it will be freezing outside. Way below the usual 65 degrees.

I am scurred
Photo by Cydney Scott for Boston University Photography

All you fellow California Terriers, if we stick together we can make it through.

We have a few more days before heading back home for winter break.

Get ready for the In-N-Out and 70-degree weather.

Appreciate the CA warmth (and burgers) when you’re there over break

And enjoy it as much as possible because when we get back we will definitely be faced with a true Boston winter, snow and all.

BU