How to take the perfect selfie

It’s not all about the lighting

Winter is coming which means your selfie game has started to suffer. No more bikini shots or pics of you in the Jeep with the doors off.

With everyone bundled up in thick gloves and even thicker jackets, the best selfies go back to basics and focus on the face..well, mostly.

We asked BU’s selfie masters on their advice taking the perfect selfie.

Emma, 20, Biology

“Make your selfie interesting and different, selfies are all about self-expression”

“Experiment with your angles. Find ones that work for you so that you don’t have identical selfies all the time”

Jessica, 19, Communication

“Smile with your eyes. “Smize,” as Tyra Banks says. It gives the appearance of liveliness.”

Annie, 19, Health Science

“How to take a good selfie: good lighting, avoiding awkward postures, and feeling your look”

Andrew, 20, Economics and International Relations

“Just stay true to yourself, the rest will come naturally”

Edina, 21, Kinesiology/PreMed

“Be creative, express yourself.”

Breno, 21, Biology

“It’s football season so rep your team pride.”

Seun, 19, Behavior and Health

“Smiling with your teeth is a hit or miss, make it look natural.”

Diego, 20, Mechanical Engineering

“If the sun’s out, take a selfie”

Yasmine, 18, Journalism

“Sometimes the perfect selfie isn’t even about you. Sometimes it’s about your pet. Want your friends to think your pet actually loves you? Take a quick picture holding them close before they run away from you!”

Katia, 20, Mechanical Engineer

“Make sure your makeup is on point. Especially your eyebrows because everyone looks at those.”

Nathalie, 21, Nursing

“A selfie just needs your favorite lip gloss”

“Your furry friend makes every picture ten times cuter”

Think you can take the perfect selfie at BU?

Put it to the test in the “Snap yo’selfie contest” with SelfieYo, an app which crosses Instagram and Yik Yak.

All you have to do is:

• Like The Tab BU on Facebook
  • Download SelfieYo on the app store
  • Upload your selfie
  • Tag it with #TheTab
  • Vote for your favorite selfie

The winner will get a $25 Starbucks gift card and your very own selfie card with your winning pic.

BU