What it was like watching BU dominate Cornell this weekend

My brother and I went to Saturday’s game. He goes to Cornell

Disclaimer: I’m neither a sports reporter, nor do I have an extensive knowledge of hockey. I’m simply a girl who decided to go to a game with my brother.

On November 28th, my brother and I headed into New York City to watch the Red Hot Hockey game featuring Boston University and Cornell University, at Madison Square Garden.

This is relevant for one reason: I go to BU, and my brother goes to CU. As the ultimate test of sibling rivalry, we decided to watch our respective schools duke it out on the ice, to see who really is better.

Neither one of us had been to MSG before, so needless to say, we were in awe.

Approaching Madison Square Garden

The lines, of course, were insane.

Although they went surprisingly fast

And I may have accidentally bought wheelchair seats, but the view was great nonetheless.

View from our seats

Finally, it was time for the teams to come out. BU was in white, and CU was in red.

Since it’s a Cornell tradition to play at MSG every Thanksgiving break, Big Red fans dominated the venue. Although it is also a biennial tradition for us to play the Bears.

Nonetheless, Terrier fans sure brought the heat, pun intended.

At game time, Cornell’s President, Elizabeth Garrett dropped the puck to kick off the game.

CU President Elizabeth Garrett

The game went relatively smoothly for the first of three periods. Neither side accumulated any points.

My brother even joked to wake him up when Cornell scored. Of course I replied he’d sleep through the whole game, but I spoke too soon.

Cornell’s #17, Anthony Angello, made the first goal of the game in the second period, and I had to sheepishly retract my earlier quip.

It’s fine, just one goal…right?

But no, it wasn’t just one goal.

#15, Trevor Yates, followed up with another goal.

“Let’s Go Red,” could be heard throughout the rink, but Terrier fans weren’t having any of that.

We cheered and yelled as loud as we could.

“Let’s! Go! B! U! Let’s Go BU! WOO!”

It finally worked. We got one. More specifically, our very own Bobo Carpenter, #14, got one in the final period.

I jumped out of my seat and screamed with all the other BU fans.

A.J Greer, #26, scored another one shortly after, and the game was tied.

Until Holden Anderson, #6, pushed Cornell to their third goal.

I can’t tell you tension in that rink, because there were four minutes left and we couldn’t lose. 

In an amazing effort, freshman Jordan Greenway, #18, scored his very first goal of the season, leaving us tied 3-3.

And what a grueling last four minutes it was. I was at the edge of my seat, biting my nails, completely focused on the action on the ice.

Our wonderful goalie, Connor LaCouvee, #30, managed to fend off anymore attempts on goal for the rest of the period.

Then it was time for overtime.

Those agonizing five minutes proved fruitless, and neither team scored. So it was supposed to be over, right? Wrong.

It was agreed there would be a three person shootout, and for those of you who had no idea, like me, that’s when three players from each team are chosen to take one shot on goal each. Like penalty shots in soccer.

Our first player didn’t make it, and neither did Cornell’s. Our second player did make it, but so did theirs. Our final player made it, but so did Cornell’s.

I was losing my mind because there was no way this could possibly end up in a tie. BU needed to win!

And win we did.

In a stunning display of BU spirit, captain Matt Lane, #21, shot the puck straight into the goal.

Terriers. Went. Wild.

But only when LaCouvee blocked the last shot from Cornell, did we all lose it completely.

To honor the long-standing rivalry between Boston University and Cornell, the winning team was awarded a trophy.

It’s so shiny

In this case, the BU Men’s hockey team now has a pretty sweet trophy to add to their collection, and I have bragging rights.

Hockey games are so stressful to watch, but when we take home a win, it’s all worth it. Let’s go Terriers!

The hockey team we all know and love

BU