I went without headphones for a week

It was cold and rainy out and I just wanted to listen to Christmas music

It all started with me rushing out of my dorm on a grey Thursday morning, anxious to do a little last minute studying for an upcoming quiz.

I reached into my pockets looking for my trusty headphones but they were nowhere to be found.

After essentially emptying out the contents of my backpack, I realized they definitely were not there.

But that was totally ok, I could go without headphones for a day. Probably even for a week….right?

Well, I tried.

Baby come back

Day 1

I started the day by frantically looking for my headphones. They were definitely still on my dresser at home, far away from the library cubicle where I spent most of my morning.

My laptop’s headphone jack looked unusually empty and the Spotify window that opened as soon as I turned on my computer seemed to be mocking me.

N*SYNC was stuck in my head, which only made matters worse.

Luckily, I had classes for most of the afternoon so the lack of headphones wasn’t much of an issue.

By the time dinner was over and I was getting into my study groove the gaping presence of my headphones was made apparent again.

It was cold and rainy out and I just wanted to listen to Christmas music.

Day 2

I had to get up super early to finish up some homework, and I would have liked nothing more than to sleepily listen to some Jack Johnson or John Mayer while doing so.

It was dead silent in my room but strangely peaceful.

My morning walk to classes usually includes the same song on repeat (last week it was Adele’s Hello). It was a little weird not having anything to listen too but nothing I couldn’t handle.

Until I got to class, that is.

Word on the street was Justin Bieber dropped his latest album last night. I’m no Belieber, but I definitely want to check it out.

Upon learning about the Paris attacks, I spent most of my Friday evening tuning into a live stream of coverage, and yes, I used my headphones. It was absolutely impossible not to do so.

Day 3

Back at it with no headphones. Fortunately, it wasn’t too difficult this time.

I did become incredibly aware of how loud typing could be, though.

Be kind to your computers, folks, no need to slam the keys. They didn’t do anything to you. 

Day 4

There’s a certain degree of freedom associated with playing music without headphones.

But there’s also a certain degree of terror associated with blasting the latest JBiebs and the possibility of having your roommates walk in.

Day 5

I’m pretty sure a week is 5 days.

I broke, sorry y’all.

My morning routine is just not the same without Sia’s Alive making me feel like a boss as I walk down the street.

Life without headphones isn’t all bad though.

I found myself picking up bits of interesting conversations (it’s not eavesdropping, it’s attentive listening OK) and paying attention to my surroundings during my daily Comm Ave commute, which isn’t a bad thing when there are bikes, cars and trains pretty much everywhere.

Take a break from blasting those headphones and give your ears a little R&R every now and then.

But for now, cue the Adele.

BU