Boston rallies to support Paris

‘As the crowd walked to the monument, everyone started singing La Marseillaise’

Boston Common hosted a rally in support of Paris and France this afternoon.

Over a thousand people flocked to the main pavilion, bearing French flags and signs asking for peace and prayer.

The event initially started on Facebook and quickly caught a lot of attention around Boston.

Not only was Marty Walsh, Boston’s Mayor, at the rally, but so was Governor Charlie Baker, Senator Elizabeth Warren, and Consul General of France in Boston, Valery Freland.

Valery Freland on the right

The sound of French being spoken echoed everywhere.

At the beginning of the rally, Freland spoke, thanking everyone for being there.

Although he did not have a microphone, a hush went over the crowd and you could hear him from a hundred feet away. He asked the attendees to keep the victims and their families in their prayers.

After his short speech, there was a moment of silence.

Mayor Walsh then led a procession to the Lafayette Mall plaque where there was another moment of silence.

As the crowd walked to the monument, everyone started singing La Marseillaise, the French national anthem.

Flags were raised higher and higher as we walked.

At the Lafayette plaque, people put flowers, candles, and prayer cards at its base.

Reporters and photographers soon flooded the area, taking pictures of the man next to me with French flag blowing in the wind above everyone’s heads, the little boy holding a small bouquet of daisies which he later put on the base of the monument, and the boy holding up a homemade sign, one side with a peace sign, the other side with ‘Paris Strong.’

Throughout all of this, people continued to sing La Marseillaise, and talked to one another about their relatives and friends in France.

Valery Freland stayed with the crowd throughout the rally, thanking people for coming.

As people dispersed, the sounds of French voices murmuring prayers and the distant sound of people singing still hung in the afternoon air.

BU