This is what happened at the blackout and conversation about race on college campuses earlier today

We were covering everything live

After today’s blackout is at Marsh Plaza in support of the recent events at the University of Missouri, supporters made their way to the Howard Thurman Center for Coffee and Conversation about race on college campuses – we had the live updates.

Boston University gathered together wearing all black at 3pm to show solidarity with students of color at MU, who have protested racial prejudice and death threats this week.

The event was hosted by TeAndrea Nicole Jackson and Grace Kim.

17:21

We interviewed host Grace Kim after the conversation ended.

There will be a full follow-up on today’s events.

17:13

The conversation finished a few minutes ago and people make their way out of the HTC.

17:10

There were a lot of people who got to talk this evening, but there were still quite a few who didn’t get to speak because they ran out of time.

There were a few points when the crowd started getting loud, but it would get silent just as fast.

Everyone got involved, either by talking or nodding their head or snapping their fingers when they heard a good point.

17:04

17:00

“My parents gave me my name, Alvi, so I wouldn’t have to deal with any issues having a brown sounding name”

16:44

“Don’t just be a social media warrior.”

16:40

16:35

“If we’re going to talk about why they want to keep their power, it’s because they have the power. How their power is taken away, is by us taking it, not asking for it.”

16:29

“You might not encounter every single day but you’re going to be reminded you ain’t us”

16:25

“Let’s dismantle white fraternities and sororities. Let’s dismantle black fraternities and sororities.”

16:19

We’re snapchatting live from the HTC.

16:17

“It seems like in the past seven years (since President Obama was elected) the skeletons have started to come out of the closet.”

16:10

Almost everyone who was at the rally is now gathered at the Howard Thurman Center.

16:03

“From looking around this room, I can tell you this is good stuff.”

Jordan, a current student at BU addresses the room.

16:00

There is an alum currently talking in coffee and convo about privilege and putting yourself in other people’s shoes.

“You have to be an ally.”

15:58

“The main thing to get from the rally is that we want justice and we want it now.” – Whitney Ariana Drew

Students share their thoughts on the rally.

15:55

“I want to say, just a huge shout out to all the students that showed up to this blackout, it means a lot to me, and I know my friends back at Mizzou. It’s really important that people of all backgrounds, so people of color, white allies, etc. just continue fighting and trying to understand the problem. Continue to stay educated, keep up with current events, and just band together. I think everyone wants equality, and the best way to fight for that goal is to stick together” – Yasmin

Yasmin transferred from Mizzou and is a sophmore at BU majoring in International Relations.

15:51

We interviewed host TeAndrea Nicole Jackson about the events.

“I just want to say, to anyone who thinks that they’re alone and the racial prejudice that they are facing, to anyone who thinks that the battle is too large, too hard for them to fight, we are here. We are standing next to you and we are going to fight along side you.”

Stay tuned for the full interview.

15:45

Students cover the blackout on Snapchat.

15:35

Supporters from Simmons College also attend the event.

15:30

Supporters are now heading to the Howard Thurman Centre for Coffee and Conversation about race on college campuses.

15:28

15:27

Hundreds have gathered at Marsh Plaza to show their support.

15:21

Journalists and photographers are there covering the blackout.

15:18

Yasmin one of the speakers will talk to The Tab after the event.

15:07

The crowd raises their fists in unity.

15:04

“To our white allies if you stand with us, if you walk with us, walk all the way” – TeAndrea

The crowd is cheering.

“What do we want?”

“Justice”

“When do we want it?”

“Now”

14:58

The blackout has started. Host TeAndrea thanked everyone for coming.

BU