Salem: Not just for witches anymore

We visited the revamped and riotous city

On picturesque streets that look straight out of a New England travel guide – witches, goblins, and minions congregate on the slam packed cobblestone streets of Salem, Massachusetts.

Every October, this old city is the center of Halloween festivities in the Northeast.

Streets filled with Festival goers

A hub for students from all over Boston, Salem is a premier Fall destination. A short ride on the commuter rail, Salem is a nice fall getaway from the city.

Pumpkin stands, Farmer’s Markets and carnival games make it a family friendly destination during the day, but once the sun goes down the streets are permeated with costumed partygoers and haunted activities.

With a congregation of psychics readily on hand to predict your future number of spouses and how lucrative your career will be, there is no shortage of activities to take part in.

Psychics are as prominent as Witches

While the city provides plenty of its own haunted destinations, considering the fact that it was the site of a brutal witch hunt over 300 years ago, there are tons of haunted houses and tours to get your Halloween freak on.

You can tour the cemeteries of the settlers or take a walk through the Witch’s house.

Situated by the water, there are plenty of delectable seafood options as well, aside from the caramel apples and pumpkin spice everything, of course.

The Old Cemetery

If these excessive Halloween festivities seem like a giant middle finger to the city’s puritan roots, they provide an amazing format to emphasize a questionable time in its history while you’re partying every weekend dressed as mythical creatures.

Salem may take Halloween more seriously than anywhere else, but at least they do it right.

BU