We spent a Sunday at the South End Open Market

Gourdgeous darling

A hipster’s paradise, the South End Open Market at SoWa is a magical place and everyone should experience its wonder.

On its last day running we’ve got  SoWa can be broken down into four parts: the Art Market, the Vintage Market, the Farmers’ Market, and the Food Trucks.  We took the Green Line to Copley, catch bus Number 9 via Arlington Street, get out at Albany and East Berkeley, and you’ve arrived at.

How bout dem apples?

Art Market

If you’re a broke college student, stick to just browsing and making small talk with the super nice vendors.

Two stands caught my eye in particular: Zooguu and the House of Findings.

A husband and wife business, Zooguu was colorful and filled with plush toys and art prints. Jen makes the plush toys and faux taxidermy while Brian is an illustrator and designs all the art prints. The couple’s shop has been going on for 15 years strong, almost as strong as my small talk.

The House of Findings was a pop-up based shop and specializes in vintage, global, upcycled and handmade clothing, every hipster’s dream. This hot spot even had it’s very own BU interns. The stylish owner, Mayra, also let me in on a little secret about a new shop popping up around campus soon.

Vintage Market

The trip to the Vintage Market involves walking down sketchy stairs while you time travel through decades past. The smell of old leather fills the cramped basement space as Buddy Holly’s voice is played over hidden speakers.

As sad as it is to see the rest of the Market close down for winter, this one is indoors and goes on year round.

Food Trucks

Everyone’s favorite part of any market, the food trucks. We left the cozy indoors and headed back out to sunny SoWa.

Cash Money enjoying her meal box.

Moyzilla is a market staple as the purple truck with the smiling monster holding a dumpling painted on the side catches the eyes of passers by. This food truck specializes in Asian comfort food and dumplings. Freshmen, Alessa “Cash Money” Gaeta has Moyzilla marked as one of her go-to spots to grab a Sunday lunch. She describes any food she orders as “it’s bomb af”.

Rohan about to dig into her dessert

Engineering major, Taylor Rohan, took on desert from Frozen Hoagies. This adorable food truck fits right in with the whole ambiance of SoWa, from its pink and white color to its minimalistic design of an cookie ice cream sandwich. Rohan tried the cold apple cider float with vanilla ice cream. She shared her enthusiasm of the great customer service and her “fucking delicious” dessert.

Farmers Market: Oh My Gourd

It’s definitely that time of year again when gourds are in abundance.

Too gourd to be true

Gourds on gourds on gourds

SoWa is a gourd time for everyone and we can’t wait for its return.

BU